Assembly line crayfish

I dont know why I havent been cranking these out all winter, its my most used fly all summer. I spent the winter experimenting with new flies, instead of tying what I actually use and need! Ryan

2uqyszo.jpg

I like the simple design, a la "guide flies." Definitely a smallmouth catcher! Looks like your third hook is bent open a bit.

Yeah, I have to get some new 60 deg hooks, dont really care for the 90s, and these are cheap ones I've had forever. They work, just not the best quality. Ryan

Winter is tying season. Good to get creative and work out new ideas. I am in the same boat as you. Tied a mess of new patterns. Many are unproven. However the main stay Clouser ties up quickly. I plan to fish as many of my new ties as possible this season. Including the flies from the swaps to broaden my horizons. Nice craw pattern BTW!

Also, I know the point here is to keep it fast and simple, but have you tried this same pattern but wrapping an India hen neck hackle along the estaz (wooly style) for extra bugginess? I have become a big fan of soft webby hackles like that.

Also, I know the point here is to keep it fast and simple, but have you tried this same pattern but wrapping an India hen neck hackle along the estaz (wooly style) for extra bugginess? I have become a big fan of soft webby hackles like that.

I have tried the hackle in the past, and I like it as well. It wouldnt hurt, only one more step in the pattern. These are size 2 hooks. Ryan

Agreed, that webby hackle ensures movement and gives the impression of multiple legs. They're lookin' nice Ryan

That's a winner. Everything you need and only what you need to catch fish like Tap's Bug, Lefty's Bug, and Tom's Sexy Craw. I will make some on 60 deg hooks with Craig's ringers so I can change up the weight. Thanks for showing this one, Ryan.

One thing I learned from experience, is that if you tie a ball of dubbing at the bend of the hook, between claws, it really helps to keep the bunny strips from sticking together. Just forgot to throw that in there. Ryan