Articulated & Shank Flies

Rob,

I normally fish them with a sink tip line, just as you'd suspected. If you want to use a floating line and want them to sink quicker, then try a tandem flies rig with a Clouser in front. A few suggestions: I'd found that substituting marabou with craft fur would make the fly much lighter and easier to cast once the fly get to a certain size and also sink quicker too. If you want a diving action, try some wraps of wire toward the front to counter the deer hair buoyancy and shape the head flat on the bottom (taking the cue from the Dahlburg Diver). I've not try this yet, but it might work.

Tom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rob sed: "Tom,

a quick question for you, did you find that those beautiful spun deer hair articulated flies that you tied would sink much at all without the barbell eyes? The fly I tied above wouldn't begin to sink until I had stripped it almost all of the way back in. It darts erratically as desired but remains on the surface or just beneath, which makes for a nice surface fly but I was looking to get a little more diving action out of it. I was hoping that I would not be forced to fish a sink tip line. Thanks for your input."

Rob,

Since your bug is looking more and more like Woody's Sex Dungeon, you might as well get it from the Man.

http://realestatevideochannelportal.com/en/video/Cc7i_VxU6FI/Slide-Inn-QA-2-with-Kelly-Galloup