Optogeekology 101

Mike G

Thanks Mike. I wear prescription glasses with the transitions coloring - they tint in the sunlight but are not polarized. I have tried wearing polarized sunglasses over them, but this creates a problem in that they still tint which makes everything too dark. I'll have to look into this new technology.

Pat,

transition polarized lenses are now available but they are not cheap. We have not ground a lot of these lenses and so I'm still getting feed back from my fishing friends, but realize they do carry compromises, in that the polarization gets better as the lenses darken, which is not what you are looking for in low light conditions (which the article alludes to). On the other hand, those yellow polarized lenses in the article are not going to be adequate as the sun gets up for many individuals that are photophobic or light sensitive and remember, low light conditions by definition are generally not likely to be producing high amounts of glare anyway. Btw, I have found many prefer a polarized mild rose tint vs. the yellow or amber tint mentioned in the article, but everyone is different. There is rarely a free lunch when it comes to optics.

• 1 month later...

Good sunglasses are important for fishing.

Last year I purchased a pair of Cocoons Photochromic sunglasses to fit over my prescription sunglasses. I bought these glasses with amber lenses to replace an older pair of amber lens Cocoons that were scratched up after years of use. http://www.cocoonsusa.com/photochromic/

The Photochromic Cocoons with the amber lenses seem to work better in low light than the older pair that were polarized without the lenses. These are the glasses that I wear for most of my fishing. I prefer a pair of grey lens Cocoons for driving or fishing in bright, sunny weather.

The downside to Cocoons is that they are not the greatest looking glasses. At this point in my life, I would rather look like the geek that I am and spend money on more fly rods than buy expensive but better looking polarized, graduated bifocal prescription sunglasses.

Got my Costa's with copper lenses in the mail yesterday. They fit great. Retail $169 but I got them for 59.99 from Steap and Cheap. I've been wearing 4.99 polarized Berkley from Walmart for several years.

I strongly suggest you get some croakies or other type of keeper for the new shades. I used to lose/break sunglasses constantly. When I finally broke down and bought some quality shades I bought a keeper strap thingy and have had the same shades for a few years now. My wife thinks they look dorky, but like Asherman said, who cares?

I strongly suggest you get some croakies or other type of keeper for the new shades

As an eye doc, I would tell you not to.... Ha.

Seriously, great idea, you would be amazed at how many guys and gals come into the office after having lost their specs on a canoe ride, fishing, water skiing, and other. Can't imagine how many smallies are running around down there doing the Charlie Tuna thing.

charlies-page.png

Scott,

there are nice sunglasses available without the "wrap around" effect. Most don't know but if you take a non-prescription lens and wrap it around the eye and angle its position in relation to the eye, you have actually now created a lens that has astigmatic aberration in it. Most can tolerate this small undesired Rx but many such as myself, can not tolerate this for very long without inducing eye strain and fatigue. Also certain colored lenses can also cause problems for individuals, such as strong rose tinted lenses make me nauseous but others love 'em.