Any interest in an ISA fly swap?

Rob G

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is easily the most professionally set of flies I have received in a swap! Great job everyone.

-Forrest

I agree. Everyone did a great job. My 5 year old daughter helps me tie flies sometimes and she really liked the big blockhead popper. She thought it was the coolest fly. Tom's muddler is amazing. I can't wait to fish it.

Rob, what kind of legs did you use on the big black bug? It is very cool. Ryan, your KGB is unlike anything I've seen. I look forward to trying it this summer.

And I need to learn how to make those worm flies. I am always on the lookout for a cool weedless fly, and I think that it would be killer in areas where other flies might get hung up easily.

Colt

Colt,

this is where the leg material came from on my Black Bug:

http://flytyersdungeon.com/Materials/bodyandlegs.htm

If you have never used this fellow's materials, consider trying it. His materials and accessories are very inexpensive comparatively and his legging material is unique. I'm not sure what it is made of but it is not like most rubber. You almost can't break this stuff by pulling on it but it can micro-fray which means you don't have to be too careful when pulling and positioning your legs and skirts. Just something else to try and further fill your fly tying material containers.

Eventually we can attempt another swap that might be limited to your favorite bluegill fly or a smallmouth fly that is composed of 90% natural materials that were living at one time. Some friends and I had a good time with a small swap that included a fly where you had to hunt and find your own natural materials in the outdoors (other than a hook and thread). It's a good cold weather thing and allows one to be creative.

Just so everyone in the swap is aware, I did not water test the KGB fly after creating it. My intentions with the design, is that it would create a disturbance, maybe not pop, if fished as you would a popper. Also, that if stripped a little harder, or even with a sink tip line, it may go slightly sub surface like a frog, and resurface since it has a rounded head. And finally, that it could be drifted like a large hopper. We'll see, I'm looking forward to using it or seeing a pic of a smallie that one of you guys caught with it. Ryan

I received a little bag of these flies you guys tied at the Blowout last night.

THANKS! You guys are too much. You are what makes the ISA such a great organization to belong to.

I can't wait to try these bad boys out.

Thanks again.