2 Shots Minnow

Tom L

The up & down jigging motions of the Clouse is tantalizing to the fish; and its effectiveness is undeniable; but the bucktail hairs tend to tangle up after the fly has been fished awhile and causes the fly to swim untrue to its nature. I had tried substituting the bucktail with marabou and craft fur which work well for both, but the tangling problems still persist.

After 2 shots of Balvenie Doublewood last night, I got this idea.

post-1339-0-42843000-1386877397_thumb.jpegpost-1339-0-49771600-1386877409_thumb.jpegpost-1339-0-78085600-1386877418_thumb.jpegpost-1339-0-38993900-1386877426_thumb.jpeg

Cheer!

I'd assume they are Tiger Barred Rabbit strips. I like these.

That looks like a good way to solve the problem. The strips may be marked with the Spike-It markers Tom showed us last summer.

Yea John,

just one strip of non-crosscut zonker rabbit hair pierced by the hook, very simple. I like the way Tom has dressed his underside up. I've tied the same fly for many many years but tended to tie in a large hackle or marabou of similar color on the bottom side in order to blend movement and hook coverage. Btw, this is one of my favorite flies for Northern Pike because it much more durable after repeated meetings with those teeth. I'm definitely going to give Tom's examples a go for sure. Also the all black is a great leech imitation up north.

008-1.jpg?t=1386862469

Nice! The rabbit has awesome movement in the water. Looks like a fish catcher fer sure.

Last season I had great success with fox fur Clousers. I used body fur and tail fur. Fish liked both.

There are options if fox is unavailable. Temple Dog, is one. The fish liked it as well.

Tom,

they look great to me. I like simple, but how and what are you applying your stripes with?

Poke the hook point thru the strip, coat the shank with head cement glue, and tie down the strip with thread to form the head.

I'd assume they are Tiger Barred Rabbit strips. I like these.

Yep! Barred rabbit strips.

That looks like a good way to solve the problem. The strips may be marked with the Spike-It markers Tom showed us last summer.

Mike is right. The strip take marker well and can be easily spike up with scent markers.

So, is the fly basically one rabbit strip? thanks

Yes, Jonn. Only one rabbit strip on top.

Yea John,

just one strip of non-crosscut zonker rabbit hair pierced by the hook, very simple. I like the way Tom has dressed his underside up. I've tied the same fly for many many years but tended to tie in a large hackle of similar color on the bottom side in order to blend movement and hook coverage. Btw, this is one of my favorite flies for Northern Pike because it much more durable after repeated meetings with those teeth. I'm definitely going to give Tom's examples a go for sure. The all black is a great leech imitation up north.

008-1.jpg?t=1386862469

Well ties Rob. The double bunny and the palmer bunny techniques have been around, but they are difficult to add flashes.

This is the underbody was done.

post-1339-0-98409100-1386955257_thumb.jpegpost-1339-0-59305200-1386955257_thumb.jpegpost-1339-0-21792100-1386955257_thumb.jpegpost-1339-0-78100100-1386955256_thumb.jpegpost-1339-0-33766700-1386955256_thumb.jpeg

If want to, you can add artic fox tail on top of the red Krystal flash for belly/beard.

Nice! The rabbit has awesome movement in the water. Looks like a fish catcher fer sure.

Last season I had great success with fox fur Clousers. I used body fur and tail fur. Fish liked both. :( There are options if fox is unavailable. Temple Dog, is one. The fish liked it as well.

Temple Dog = Fido Fly? :(