Gurgler sounds a little Yiddish

Rob G

Finally got a chance to tie a little bit on this crummy cold day and thought I'd tie up a few Gartside Gurglers. Though not exactly like Jack's, I'm sure he wouldn't have minded if we put our own little spin on them. I'm told the ones with the rubber legs look somewhat like a Jude Bug, but I can't confirm this since I've never seen one, though I have heard of this magical fly, it's spoken of highly in the UP's northern lore.

019aa.jpg

John,

I would say work it like any other popper or surface bug, which can vary greatly depending on what they want. The sound produced could be described as maybe a gurgle or at least a softer muted pop, not nearly as loud as a block head or other really cupped out poppers. These are tied on a size 4 but I know guys that have tied larger ones for northern pike and of course Jack tied his for saltwater. It can be adapted to many different situations.

Rob,

It is a true shame that an ISA Member does not know what a Jude Bug looks like. After all it won the first prize at the now discontinued Blowout fly beauty contest. I think you fellow officer Jude can fix that.

PS I am glad to see you got back to your vice. And you are still on time since Greek Orthodox Hanukkah begins tomorrow at sunset.

Okay okay….I can take a hint.

Here it is in popper mode:

DSCF1117_zps36bfd525.jpg

and in slider mode:

DSCF1128_zps59bf2fce.jpg

another view:

DSCF1119_zps3f317eaa.jpg

You'll get some in the mail soon, Rob. I totally spaced it out….dude. Sorry.

Thanks Jude for posting. It looks great and I like the fact that the Jude bug is versatile and allows for a couple different presentations. I think we can make that our featured fly to work on for our Central IL fly tying gathering in January. Big thumbs up!

Thank you John for that wonderful plug and lead in:

Central Illinois BassBuggers Fly Tying Gathering

January 26th, Sunday 1 PM - 4 PM

Bloomington, IL

Fire Station #2 on Hamilton Drive

We will be tying several new smallmouth patterns along with some old favorite top water patterns as well.

You do not have to be a member of the ISA to attend these gatherings and beginners are welcome.

Afterwards we will often find a nearby watering hole in order to grab a quick bite.

Contact Rob G here at the ISA forums for further information

To answer you quickly, my entire knowledge of Judaism is based on the World's Religions class I took In college. The lecturer divided Judaism into three branches-Conservative, Reformed, and Orthodox. So I guess Conservative and Reformed are the Unorthodox branches. I think all branches follow the same calendar. So regular Unorthodox Hanukkah is over; and Greek UUnorthodox Hanukkah is still running. But you better hurry. OK there are no rules. But a suggestion is that you finish the Hanukkah flies by Purim 3/16/2014.

Guest rich mc

mike I don't see the real thick foam in stores and glueing them together is messy and extra time. his flies are tested by time, like I said I like his neutralizer fly. perhaps its a cousin of the stealth bomber . rich mc

Rich, I used 2 mm thick foam sheets but Hobby Lobby does carry 3 mm thick foam in a few colors as well. They also carry 2 mm foam sheets with an adhesive back so you could theoretically create up 4 or 5 mm thick foam sheets from which to cut your bodies so experiment and let me know what you like.

Had to swing by Hobby Lobby and found even 5 mm thick foam sheets in a few colors for about a buck but would think it would be awfully difficult to compress and tie down on a hook. I can't imagine using more than 3 mm foam unless you were tying really big flies with a large gap hook.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tying up a version of the Gurgler also. I haven't used them yet but they are easy to tie. Pay no attention to the goofy polka dots i put on them. Here is the video that inspired me to tie them.

post-1839-0-35322200-1387556073_thumb.jpg

post-1839-0-38792400-1387556090_thumb.jpg

post-1839-0-89193400-1387556094_thumb.jpg

post-1839-0-01845300-1387556102_thumb.jpg

post-1839-0-36320800-1387556108_thumb.jpg

tgood,

thanks for sharing that video and your flies, I had not seen that supporting piece of foam tied and glued on top. Looks great and I think I'll try modifying mine. On my black one, I'll probably tie in yellow foam in order to see it better on the water.

Okay okay….I can take a hint.

Here it is in popper mode:

DSCF1117_zps36bfd525.jpg

and in slider mode:

DSCF1128_zps59bf2fce.jpg

another view:

DSCF1119_zps3f317eaa.jpg

You'll get some in the mail soon, Rob. I totally spaced it out….dude. Sorry.

Actually, Tim, the only gurgler you need to tie is the Jude Bug created by Northwest's very own Jude. It is convertible from Gentile to Jew, gurgler to slider, by repositioning the front flap. Now enjoy the Gentile 12 Days.

Thanks Rob. Good idea with going with a bright color like yellow for the peice on the back for visibility.

Mike, Jude gave me a few of his Jude Bugs and they are great. Where do we learn how to tie those. Is there a thread post or online article?

tg,

Now you've gone too far, Jude was just now willing to post photos of his Top Secret Jude bug after significant arm twisting............and now you want him to post a tutorial? You would probably have a better chance at him telling you where are his local honey holes :P

Rob,

He asked me not you.

Tim,

As for a demo, isn't Jude a fishing buddy of yours? Maybe a private session? I know that about 6-7 years ago Jude demoed his bug for all Chicagoland at One More Cast (now out of business) in Countryside IL. So wouldn't ya think he would do it for his friends in Rockford and new members like yourself? Not for me to say. Since you seem to have an inside track with him, why doncha feel him out on this? Just thinking out loud here.

You guys are brutal. Since there are biscuits and gravy involved, I'll do the Jude Bug at the get together in January. (Benson Stone in Rockford on January 25)