Trailer fly

Ryan Kral

Hey guys, just screwing around with different ideas for a trailer fly in my tandem craw/baitfish setup. Tom L got me started using this setup, with the muddler as the trailer, and this pattern I made, is basically a muddler style. The muddler minnow is an easy enough pattern as is, but with this pattern, its a marabou tail, tinsel body wrap, and one clump of spun bucktail(not deerhair) for the head. Thats it. You could easily knock these out in a couple minutes a piece. Ryan

6s80oy.jpg

Nice work, Ryan. I've been using some thing similar (but with no tail, substituted wing instead in white, pink, orange, chart, purple, black, yellow) for steelhead and brown. They'll work for smb also.

Nice work, Ryan. I've been using some thing similar (but with no tail, substituted wing instead in white, pink, orange, chart, purple, black, yellow) for steelhead and brown. They'll work for smb also.

Thats a good idea, maybe I will tie up a couple a little smaller, and include some different bright or contrasting colors. Thanks, Ryan

By the way, the reason I went with the spun bucktail as opposed to deer hair, is because I initially wanted a longer collar of fur, extending back towards the tail more. After doing that, I just didn't like the profile, so I trimmed it down. I would use deer hair the next time. Ryan

For what's worth, this is a pic of the flies I was talking about. They are about 2.5" long and tied on #6 or #4 hooks. I've been using them to trail behind an egg or an egg-sucking-leech pattern.

post-1339-0-64369900-1384616125_thumb.jpg