Sit on top kayaks

Dick G

Be careful on overthinking a kayak and delaying pulling the trigger on a purchase. You'll miss out on that much more fun! You'll learn to love whatever you get, and it's a great way to enjoy the water and catch a lot of bass! If I could do one thing over again regarding kayaking, it would be to have gotten into it sooner!

Eric got that right! Even the ones sold at Costco or Dick's for $200 - 400 wil get you into fish. Just be sure to wear that life jacket or sospenders. A kayak is not untippable. I had a lot of fun in Islamorada in a 9' Heritage Featherlite that the resort had for guests.

I use a solo canoe frequently. The canoe is good because I am a gear freak, and it has a lot more capacity.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work four hous as in a yak as safety boat yesterday for a water test/Demo Day. It an annual event at one of the dealer/outfitters in the region.

Many folk tried the Tarpon , Synergy and Manta Ray SOT's.

At the end of the day we meet for food and fluids at the boat shop. The #1 selling boat of ALL kayaks was the 10 & 12 foot Liquidlogic Manta Rays. That over ALL kayaks SOLD. at approximately 25 boats.

OH! I purchased MY Dagger Approach and will be putting it to work below Class 2-3 drops for smallies.

If You have heard some that there isn't enough room in the cockpit then they need to stick to bass boats or learn what it takes to catch a smallmouth bass and leave the kitch sink at home. If I need masses of room I have a Pungo 120 or a 13ft. Sawyer solo canoe.

Plenty of room for this 6', 225lb. angler and enogh gear to land several 5lb. bronzebacks.

GET to the Manta Ray. Those pushing 200# better fit the 12 foot with angling gear.

• 3 months later...

Nice boat Mark...

Curious as to what size you bought and how long ago?

Seems Liquid Logic has now sold the Manta Ray line to Native Watercraft. One change I've noticed is that they list a Manta Ray 11 (instead of the Manta Ray 10) and have it listed at 10' 10" where before I thought the MR 10 was listed at 10' 2".

Al

Nice boat Mark...

Curious as to what size you bought and how long ago?

Seems Liquid Logic has now sold the Manta Ray line to Native Watercraft. One change I've noticed is that they list a Manta Ray 11 (instead of the Manta Ray 10) and have it listed at 10' 10" where before I thought the MR 10 was listed at 10' 2".

Al

Thanks Al. You are correct. I purchased a 2007 MR 10 from Appomatox River Company. They have them on sale for $550. Shipping was $50. Also bought a carbon/fiber paddle for $115. I bought the 10 for ease of transporting...just throw it in the back of the truck...but 12's have more room and more storage options.

I work four hous as in a yak as safety boat yesterday for a water test/Demo Day. It an annual event at one of the dealer/outfitters in the region.

Many folk tried the Tarpon , Synergy and Manta Ray SOT's.

At the end of the day we meet for food and fluids at the boat shop. The #1 selling boat of ALL kayaks was the 10 & 12 foot Liquidlogic Manta Rays. That over ALL kayaks SOLD. at approximately 25 boats.

OH! I purchased MY Dagger Approach and will be putting it to work below Class 2-3 drops for smallies.

If You have heard some that there isn't enough room in the cockpit then they need to stick to bass boats or learn what it takes to catch a smallmouth bass and leave the kitch sink at home. If I need masses of room I have a Pungo 120 or a 13ft. Sawyer solo canoe.

Plenty of room for this 6', 225lb. angler and enogh gear to land several 5lb. bronzebacks.

GET to the Manta Ray. Those pushing 200# better fit the 12 foot with angling gear.

That's not exactly what I said. The cockpit has room once you are in it. if you are floating a stream where you'll have to get out alot- it's a chore to get in and out of this boat. It has a small cockpit compared to a WS pam 100. Other than that it's a beaut!

You really do need to take you time on a upper end yak. It is very easy to buy the wrong kayak. Now the cheapies like Old town Otter can be a great first boat- I wouldn't hesitate to spend 200-300 on a first kayak- then experiment.

Once you get a boat, everything can be modified, but not the hull or length. A run and gun fishing style or finesse are better IMHO with more agile boats. It's hard for me to be pin point accurate with a bait when you have to turn a 13-14' battleship to line up a cast.

I'm 215 and use a 9'4" boat. I have had 300 lbs incl gear in a 225 lbs limit- it didn't perform as well, but you don't explode or anything. Smuggled some river rocks for home garden.

Here is a little news about the Manta Ray.It will be listed with Native Watercraft as the Manta Ray. All the same company different divisions.

If you want to see a Manta Ray at workgo to Out-Of-State Reports and look at "Sunset or Sundown".

Thats my Manta 12 without any outfitting. If your looking to lighten your load getting it into the water try the 10.

Rick

Update on my Mantaray:

It seems that SOT kayaks are still in a development phase as I went through 2 that had scupper problems. They were handled my LL quickly and my final replacment(since it's doesn't seep water) is a Native Mantaray 12. They made a couple small changes but it's a great boat. I swapped over the rod holder and flushmounts holders(drilling scary big holes) and since added a Humminbird Piranhamax 215. I've only had the yaks out on the Skokie Lagoons and Busse Lake but it's a blast! 2 weeks ago I fished the lagoons and was able to carry a spinning rod, a baitcaster, and a 3-weight fly rig. I caught bluegill and 2 channel cats on the fly and 5 largemouth on the b-caster, not bad for a 3 hour outing!(actually my best yak trip to date and the best I've done on the 'goons in a looooooong time).

Also anyone concerned about weight may want to look into building a cart, I made one from PVC but haven't needed it yet. I made it so I can break it down and fit into my bow hatch.

I have a 16' battleship (Old Town Loon tandem) with no mods and I've managed to catch a few fish out of it. :P

Eric, I'll give you an example then. Of course, you can catch fish out of anything. You'll just spend more energy turning and freeing snags.

We hit the St. Joe up in South Bend earlier this year. It's a large channelized river with fast current and low overhanging trees near the bank. It's typically 4-6 feet deep quick. Fish were only right on the banks or close. Because I can turn on a dime I could sneak in between low trees and work a popper parrallel enough to get fish to strike- larger boats would be reduced to casting perpendicular to shore while zipping by. In that situation, baits would only be in strike zone a short time.

Another challenge would be turning when stream gets skinny? With one-two strokes my boat turns 180. Do you ever hook a fish behind you while in current? Stopping a large boat take a lot more paddling- spooked bass.

Nick,

LL had a problem with there molds at the scupper ho;es. They seem to be good at replacement just a tad slower than right now.

The scupper holes are the potentially weak area on ALL SOT kayaks.

If you go to a cart DON'T use one that sticks anything thru the scupper holes. Likewise avoid sticking rods, drag lines, or other items in the scupper holes.

As far a cutting holes for rod holders. There are always alternative. I shy away from surface mounts that create a high profile that may get in the way of casting/handling forward. This is particularily true when flyrodding.

That all said. I'm lookind at getting another Manta Ray, this one a 10, for the fishing widow to paddle.

Have fun with it!

Rick

Nick,

LL had a problem with there molds at the scupper ho;es. They seem to be good at replacement just a tad slower than right now.

The scupper holes are the potentially weak area on ALL SOT kayaks.

If you go to a cart DON'T use one that sticks anything thru the scupper holes. Likewise avoid sticking rods, drag lines, or other items in the scupper holes.

As far a cutting holes for rod holders. There are always alternative. I shy away from surface mounts that create a high profile that may get in the way of casting/handling forward. This is particularily true when flyrodding.

That all said. I'm lookind at getting another Manta Ray, this one a 10, for the fishing widow to paddle.

Have fun with it!

Rick

I try and remember to get some pics up. I like the flush mounts but still run an Ram in the front, I typically have 3 rigs with me but I've only been fishing still water. I just added a Humminbird and anchor trolley, I didn't have trouble using a fly rod from a line management prospective with all the mounted stuff but I'm not trying to shoot line out 60 feet either, just a little 3-weight action for panfish;though I caught a couple channel cats on a size 14 nymph,one of those went 18" and took a while to get in :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hey, don't say I don't get right on things. I finally put my Tarpon in the water today. Got a wet butt and caught my first smallies with the yak. Little fish from a little stream- but big fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't put your SOT to bed yet!!!

Its winter fishing tactics and the SOT is great for those of us donning the chest waders and shoes.

My Manta Ray is really showing to be a great craft for using my breathable chest waders with the ease of entry/exit and comfort.

Its beat the pants off my Pungo and Sawyer solo canoe for convenience and comfort.

At this rate I be wading and floating till the water get hard or they find me bobbing like an iceberg.

What do you guys know about the Heritage Redfish Angler? 10 or 12 ft.

6yn0x95.jpg

http://www.heritagekayaks.com/redfish10.htm

http://illinoissmallmouthalliance.net/foru...=1122&st=20

Heritage Crafts work.

I should expand. Heritage has been around a while-not a fly by night operation. The one I used was provided by a resort in the Keys for their guests; so they stand up to some use.

Like a car manufacturer, Heritage typically makes a basic model like the Featherlite I used and then adds some features to generate a "Fisherman" model. A $300 craft becomes a $400+ craft.

Your Redfish SOT shares some design features with the Sit In Featherlite. They are both "recreational" designs. Don't expect competition speed and or whitewater performance. They are more for beginners.

Their relatively broad flat bottoms resist tipping giving them a nice stable feel. That is called "high initial stability." Aficianados will point out that there is a trade off for final stability. Final stability is the craft's ability to recover from extreme angles. For instance a round bottomed performance solo canoe feels tippy, but one can lean way over and not go over. That is nice to have in waves and other rough water. On the other hand, I tipped the Featherlite over when I leaned out to pick a buoy out of some mangroves. That happens fast in a craft with "low final stability." A PFD is a must.

Bottom line, you will not take the racing Gold Medal with this design. For long distance paddling or big waters, this would not be the one. But, for fishing small lakes and slower moving rivers, it looks like a winner with the open cockpit and rear storage area. It is a sturdy recreational craft.

Rick et al,

I am sooo close to buying a SOT this winter. The only hesitation is considering a lightweight solo canoe: lifting 25 lbs to the roof of the car rather than 50. Talk me out of it if you can!

Gregg

Re: Heritage

I have the featherlight angler 9.5 foot. This is the one that can fit INSIDE my Saturn Vue. I don't think I could tip it if I tried. The cockpit is roomy. Only one problem. It is slow. This has been a concern when paddling upstream to fish back to the car. It has not been a concern when fishing downstream. I believe the redfish is a SOT similar in almost every way to the angler. I suspect you would be very happy with it unless you want to paddle fast or against current. I would guess it is a gem for floating downstream and fishing. 12' faster than 10'.

Gregg

When I bought mine the nearest Heritage dealer was in Kalamazoo, MI

Mike and Greg,

Thanks for the info,

For me the main points are fishing pretty small flows with fairly slow currents, with very little deep water or in rare occasions ponds.

Whitewater, competition speed, and ocean going is not in the cards.

I'm also not too concerned with storage. Most of my trips are 3-4 hours and since I'm used to having enough wading, I would think I'll have enough stuff in the kayak.

I will say that I am looking at three rods and I'm not liking the rod holders that stick up, especially in front of you. A rod sticking up in front of you would make it virtually impossible to cast unless you always throw overhand. (Not me) I'm looking at rigging a rod on either side of me laying down and holding one to cast with.

I do see myself using it alone a lot so it seems that these are the points:

Tracking, the ability to go straight or in the direction fairly consistently.

Comfort, the ease of getting in and out occasionally, and having bent legs vs straight.

Maneuverability, the ability to turn and or stop fairly easily.

Speed:??? Since I will fish alone, I assume I'll be going upstream a lot when going back to the car.

Others???

Jim,

In my opinion, the Redfish would serve you well in all areas mentioned except paddling upstream. Not to say it won't work, but the wider, flatter kayaks just don't cut through the water as well. On the other hand, a kayak that would paddle much easier upstream would have: more difficult entry, less leg room, etc., because it is a narrower kayak that would paddle better upstream. Personally, I would love the Redfish. I would get the longer version for more efficient paddling including your upstream paddle. Think about paddling upstream THEN fishing back to the car. That way you do the upstrean paddle before you are tired and want to go home.

Gregg

I have a 12' SOT, I still haven't had it in moving water. What I've found in still water is that you want to find a spot and anchor and fish. You can drift and fish too but you're better off picking apart some structure anchored. I would think on moving water it would shine in spot to spot fishing, I don't think I'd be too comfortable anchored in moving water but heading to a spot and popping out and working the area with either the yak tethered or beached would be ideal.

It would be great to get a couple people yak fishing together and spot a car downstream at the take out.

Jim, The SOT kayak is not going to win any races. My Tarpon (Wilderness Systems) takes a while to get up to speed going upstream. I don't even like fishing from a canoe or kayak, but it sure gets you to the good spots! I fished the Dupage and went to one spot that would have been an hour wade, mostly in unproductive water. I got there in about 15 minutes and caught 4 fish. Fishing all the way back to my put in point, I had only one more bite. The one spot where I got the fish, I got out and waded. Just put the kayak aground or tie it to your belt and float it with you as you wade. In these smaller waters its all about access.