Back to the Buck

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice video Terry! I'd say you're being too mild when you say "stainings". Just call it what it is: pollution. Next time it happens, let us know immediately and everyone on this board should call that EPA number that day (without letting on that it is an organized event.) If they get dozens of reports on one day, they'll have to prioritize it. Keep up the good work Terry.

Norm: I didn't do squat. This is all Terry.

Thanks men!

I don't believe c it would take long for the EPA to figure out that if a bunch of us were to call in, that it would be an organized call in.

If I remember correctly they ask for your address and phone number and other such info.

All I know is that this staining/pollution is not right, not acceptable, and NOBODY is going to tell me otherwise.

(I used a real big period, did you guys get that?)

I did once again report (last week) this problem to Senator Steve Stabelman.

His office called me on Friday of last week and said that they had spoken with the IEPA regional office.

The EPA informed the senator's people that they are looking into the problem but that it could take some time.

Pretty much what I expected to hear, but glad the senator's office contacted the EPA.

Keep 'em on their toes.

Terry

I had a couple eddies by Area 7 at the K3 state park covered in oil . you could see it oozing out of the ground into the water. I got the IDNR involved and with the IDNR Area Manager and Site Super met the EPA guy and took him to the scene He took some samples, gave us some sterile bottles to take samples ourselves if it expanded .

He then told us that it wasn't a big enough problem to warrant further action on the EPA's part .

That that got me a bit upset would somewhat of an understatement . It takes a lot to make me get that mad but he managed to do it . I called some legislative assistants to state level reps that I had got to know . What they found out made me madder . Seems that the oil was likely coming from the Shell Oil pipeline spill that had already been settled by various Govt agencies, Shell and local folks affected . There was no way to go back after them, hence the attitude of the EPA guy that it wasn't a big enough problem . Looking back, I realize I should have tried to raise public concern and maybe enough political pressure would have got something done.

After a rain you can still see oil seeps coming out of the limestone ledges to this day here and there on the river .

Keep at them, send this to the Outdoor Notebook , maybe Bob will give it some space . Check with the various free pubs you see around bait shops like Heartland Outdoors , send it to them . You can send it to Midwest Outdoors but it has been my experience that they don't print anything from groups that haven't "bought" space from them . Send it to every newspaper in your area big or small. same with TV/radio/web outlets

Also send it to Outdoor News it's a tabloid style periodical that usually has booths at the various fishing shows .

Send it to every municipality and/or local governmental unit i.e. forest preserves and the like that could be affected .

Well all that likely won't have groups chanting in the streets of Chicago that the whole world is watching, maybe it will raise enough ire to get something done .

Keep at them, send this to the Outdoor Notebook , maybe Bob will give it some space . Check with the various free pubs you see around bait shops like Heartland Outdoors , send it to them . You can send it to Midwest Outdoors but it has been my experience that they don't print anything from groups that haven't "bought" space from them . Send it to every newspaper in your area big or small. same with TV/radio/web outlets

Also send it to Outdoor News it's a tabloid style periodical that usually has booths at the various fishing shows .

Send it to every municipality and/or local governmental unit i.e. forest preserves and the like that could be affected .

Well all that likely won't have groups chanting in the streets of Chicago that the whole world is watching, maybe it will raise enough ire to get something done .

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll start making a list.

The city of Rockford has a problem with reporting actual newsworthy material.

They (Rockford media) like to focus on "positive news" and try very hard not to report on anything negative.

Probably a big part of the reason Rockford is now the most dangerous city in the United States of America, according to the FBI.

I do plan to approach the Rockford media at some point sooner or later. The thing is, I have to do ALL the work for them and have all

my ducks in line for them to show any interest, and my approach has to be friendly and well mannered or they won't bat an eye.

Right now I don't think I'm in that kind of state.

Okay, so here is where I'm at with this staining/pollution issue on Kilbuck Creek.

I have seen the permit for discharge. I just kind of glanced over it for the time being, I'll read more into it when I have time.

The fact is they can get permits which allow for discharge or storm run-off, whatever.

They are using 4 to 5 little "Unnamed Tributaries" to do this with.

Should these "Unnamed Tributaries" have some type of natural filtering system to help filter discharge/storm run-off before

entering Kilbuck Creek.

They may be able to get permits, but I believe they could improve on their practices to to lift them up above the state of

piss poor that I think they are at now.

I'm not going to shut them down, I get that and that has never been my intent.

I just want to be sure that they are doing things in the BEST way possible.

I DO NOT believe that they are.

Your thoughts.....

from what I've seen of the bank to bank staining of the creek, yes, they should be able to do a better job . there should be some sort of filtering that can be done .

I'm sure the permits have conditions which they must abide by, and I would imagine quality of the water being discharged would be one of them. I find it hard to believe the crap they're discharging is allowed under their permits. Do you have copies of the permits?

I'm sure the permits have conditions which they must abide by, and I would imagine quality of the water being discharged would be one of them. I find it hard to believe the crap they're discharging is allowed under their permits. Do you have copies of the permits?

Not sure if I can answer your question, or even acknowledge your reply, or existence.

You guys might laugh, but a lot of emails I receive are tagged at the bottom with some sort of disclaimer notice that scares me.

The EPA said to me that they need to make sure this staining stuff is not some kind of natural happening.

The satellite image from 2013-2014 that I discovered last week I believe pretty much proves this is not something natural.

Here's my breakdown of the satellite image....

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu280/terrydodge/c8cfa861-b27d-4cf2-839b-26353daf6850_zpscf2l75pt.jpg

I have fished this section of the creek more times than I can count. I know this section.

First with the orange box.

It appears to me with the squiggly white lines on both sides of bridge that this area is a bit choppy when normally it is not.

The red "x' marks the "Unnamed Tributary" used for discharge.

Moving on to the blue bubble. it appears that the discharge is coming in so strong that it has backwashed upstream.

Discharge coming in this strong might be the cause of the turbulent look.

If you look closely in the green circle you can see a submerged sandbar which I think cancels out any idea

of a rain/storm event causing the "Unnamed Tributary" to be discharging at such a high vholocity to cause backwash and

turbulent conditions.

This satellite image really bothers me.

I don't think any permit would allow this.

And this is the second time they have been busted via satellite image. From the 2011 incident >

But it's okay, they have permits.

Terry,

I know I'm a little late to the party here but just wanted to say what an admirable thing it is that you're doing.

Thanks, but I ain't done nothing yet.

I guess I shouldn't say that because I did manage to get a bridge installed after the 2011 event that keeps trucks from driving thru the creek.

Small steps.

Looks like Karen and her team will be sampling this area in June of 2017 > screen.jpg

Which surprised me since they just did their samplings this past Summer

of the Kishwaukee River watershed. She also sent me their findings from

the 2016 sampling of Kilbuck, one sampling site was 9 miles upstream of the landfill

the other site was Kilbuck Bluffs, which is about 2miles downstream of the landfill.

I think the site (Hwy-251) I suggested to her to be sampled in June could be interesting.

Why? Because there is a old mill dam on Kilbuck Creek. Kilbuck Bluffs is below the dam.

Anybody know what Karen means when she tells me that Kilbuck received an IBI of 50?

The biotic index refers to the invertebrates in a system. The lower the number, the better. Though, I always understood the scale to be 1-10. Not sure what scale she might be referring to.

http://www.cfb.unh.edu/StreamKey/html/biotic_indicators/indices/Hilsenhoff.html