Back to the Buck

Steve Larsen of "Larsen's Landing ( Canoe the Kish at Larsen's Landing ) contacted me about his unhappiness with the looks of Kilbuck Creek. I agree.
Time to step this thing up.

Sent out today....

Illinois State Senator

Mr. Steve Stadelman,

There is a problem with Kilbuck Creek in Winnebago Co. and the garbage dump near Baxter Rd.

Over the last 4 years some kind of junky looking water from the dump area has been getting pumped (discharged) into Kilbuck Creek. This discharge has severely stained the once clear running creek of 5 years ago. The creeks botom is covered in a grayish silt and the aquatic life is diminishing. Something must be done about this.

I am contacting you in hopes that you could put me in contact with the right people to help me save and protect this beautiful little creek and return it to it's clear running ways of 5 years ago.

Below you will find a Google Map link that shows what is going on.

Also take note of the road that crosses through the creek....

https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.155307%2C-89.063244&spn=0.007572%2C0.020664&t=h&z=16

I'm not real happy with how far local agencies have gotten with this.

If anybody has any other advice on how to tackle this problem, let me know.

Steve Stadelman is an Illinois State Senator from Rockford, for those who may not know.

It's a start.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Mr. Steve Stadelman,

There is a problem with Kilbuck Creek in Winnebago Co. and the garbage dump near Baxter Rd.

Over the last 4 years some kind of junky looking water from the dump area has been getting pumped (discharged) into Kilbuck Creek. This discharge has severely stained the once clear running creek of 5 years ago. The creeks botom is covered in a grayish silt and the aquatic life is diminishing. Something must be done about this.

I am contacting you in hopes that you could put me in contact with the right people to help me save and protect this beautiful little creek and return it to it's clear running ways of 5 years ago.

Below you will find a Google Map link that shows what is going on.

Also take note of the road that crosses through the creek....

https://maps.google....020664&t=h&z=16

WOW! I just received a call fromIllinois State Senator, Steve Stadelman's office on the email I sent to him about the problems with Kilbuck Creek. The person (Tim) thanked me on behalf of Steve Stadelman for the email and informed me that there was not much more that could be done at the moment as there are two charges against the company involved in court now. He did inform me that a bridge has been, or is being, constructed over the creek that in the past trucks were just driving through.

Nice to know that Steve and his office are doing things right.

The cloudy water has NOTHING to do with trucks driving through the creek. It is from pumping water full of limestone silt out of their quarry with no control measures.

I see the same thing in the DuPage River. Creates a cloudy path downstream on the side of the quarry discharge in otherwise clear stream. I hope its not damaging to the fish. If EPA has no control measures for this there should be. Great work Terry and thank you for your efforts.

Last week I spent an afternoon with Chuck Corley, the EPA Water Bureau Regional Manager. I drove him around town to inspect several job sites, and took the opportunity to ask him about the Kilbuck. It seems the first and worst charge is for the pumping of the quarry. Thanks to Terry, I think the Kilbuck is now very much on their radar. Recently one of their field guys was going to be in the neighborhood, so Chuck instructed him to sample upstream of the quarry and downstream. The increase in pollutants was insignificant this time. It was good to see that they are watching it without prodding from Terry any more. Good job Swami. He also said that they will investigate any complaints. I didn't ask if I could give out his e-mail, but he does work for us after all: charles.corley@illinois.gov

Good to hear. I don't like "prodding" but won't hesitate to do so when I see something out of the norm.

Thanks for the report, Jude.

Contacting your local EPA office is easy. All it takes is a phone call or an email and they will get right back with you.

Don't be afraid to report something you think isn't right.

• 3 years later...

This Kilbuck thing is not going to go away.

A local fisherman contacted me on my website on Nov. 28th. and reported

the blueish/gray staining of Kilbuck at the mouth of the Kish where it dumps into the Rock.

This has got to stop.

You might ask..... "What the hell you going to do about it, Terry?"

I'm on it. Looking at going a different direction from the path I have been on over the last few years.

I am building a group of supporters to discuss different angles to approach this problem. Thinking outside of the box type of stuff.

I can tell you this.......

After returning home from work last night (11:45pm), my wife informed that the EPA called the house wanting to talk with me about

Kilbuck Creek. They have received reports and want to get to the bottom of this thing and they were told that I was the guy to talk to.

Looking forward to that convo.

I am NOT going to get too excited as my dealings with the EPA over the last couple of years have been disappointing at best.

Anybody interested in being on the support team please contact me.

Terry

I can tell you from past experience that when govt agencies start contacting an individual about specific problems that individual has done an outstanding job of professional conduct and attention to detail . Way to go on that .

Jude

Excellence in your approach .

Keep up the great work .

So I was on the IEPA website today looking for info.

I saw that they had a Geographic Search for their Document Explorer.

This map they use is THE most up to date map I have ever seen.

Here is a screenshot image of the exact spot I was at this morning......

Oh, and here is a link to their map if your interested > http://external.epa.illinois.gov/DocumentExplorer/Geography

Put in a lot of hours today (12/3/16) in the field, on the internet, and making contacts.

All in all it was a good. Very pleased with what I got accomplished.

I feel now is the time to go at this with everything I've got. When opportunities present themselves you've got to grab 'em up by the throat.

I'll keep you all updated as things happen.