Ross Essence FC Fly Rod

Guest Jim S

Did a search and didn't see this listed, thought I'd share this if anyone was looking for a new fly rod at a really good price considering it's usually $179.99.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Ross-Essence-9-FC-Fly-Rod-With-Case-6wt/21014941#Product+Reviews

Thanks for thinking to put that up for us. While drooling over it, I noticed that they had nice deal on a similar 5 wt.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Ross-Essence-9-FS-Rod-with-Case-5wt/21014937?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=41742939973&category=0%3A4125%3A111667%3A1080424%3A1080425&client_guid=82dae6e4-b0f7-4e78-82b1-f0dbe5f80c2c&config_id=0&parent_item_id=21014936&guid=4592a3a4-c6ce-4085-a2c2-0e3a5d1c6d10&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n

Does anyone have any experience with this model?

They sure are tempting, but my wife would divorce me if I bought another rod just now. Though for some that would be a "win-win" proposition, I just don't see it that way.

I couldn't resist, so I dumped my change bucket out and almost had the total cost right there. Amazing how much pocket change adds up after a while.

5 or 6 wt? Be sure to post a review.

New rod arrived today, spooled up my Konic II (2) with some SA Titan Taper,SA Bass leader with about 18" of tippet and was lawn casting a bunny leach. I like the way the rod loads and turned over the fly, felt good. The action was a lot like my Cabela's TLr rods, which was nice, a comfort zone. The FC is a really nice looking rod, but if I had only 1 complaint, it would be the half wells cork. The cork is a lot smaller/thinner than my 5wt and my 4wt TLr. Not annoying, but noticeable to be sure. Can't wait to feel a fish on the other end.

I'm no expert for a solid review, but I do like the feel, not to stiff a tip and not too much flex. Med/fast leaning towards fast if compared to my TLr med/fast rods. Happy with the decision to buy.

Just a thought. At Woodstock last year Bob sed it is best to leave off leaders, tippets, and dehooked flies when casting on the grass. He thinks they catch in the grass and add drag which gives you an experience different from what you will get in water. Now that you have used the rod on the Kish, what do you think? Wally's sale will not last forever if someone is thinking of grabbing one.

Just a thought. At Woodstock last year Bob sed it is best to leave off leaders, tippets, and dehooked flies when casting on the grass. He thinks they catch in the grass and add drag which gives you an experience different from what you will get in water. Now that you have used the rod on the Kish, what do you think? Wally's sale will not last forever if someone is thinking of grabbing one.

Bad advice.Not only can casting a naked flyline damage it from what I've heard but in order to fully benefit on the water conditions should be approximated when grass casting which means using a fly you'd fish with.Dehooked it won't catch the grass. Bob needs to mow his lawn.

Mike,

don't think yesterday was the best to get an idea on the rod. I did get out with a friend this morning for about an hour and half. Much less wind! Felt really good catching a few smallmouth, had a Pike on for a bit but shook loose. Was using a version of Tom's Foxy Craw. Gold Variant Magnum Strip with Gold Krystal flash, Brown w/Orange Flake Crazy Legs and Tan and Fiery Brown hackles. Took me a while to find a good color pattern of this fly for the Kish.

Ron,

I was pretty sure you told me to do practice that way.