Shoes for wet wading

Fredmo

With streams so low, wet wading often seems to be the way to go, especially downstate where the water is clean enough. I've used my wading boots, but wonder if there's a lighter boot or shoe, that still would be sturdy enough on the rocks, etc. that anyone might recommend.

There is/was a discussion that touched on this over on the INSA (indiana smallmouth alliance). I know someone was happy with some sort shoe/sandal they were using. I'd post the the link but can't get on the site right now.

I personally would just find a lighter boot and use neoprene socks. Simms "Headwater" is lighter along with Patagonia "Riverwalks". You still get that ankle boot support with hopefully a better shank (than a shoe) support. Even though the water is low the ankle twisting, toe busting rocks are still there along with glass and whatever other debris "we" stupidly put in the water. better to be more protected.

I bought some Flats Boots from Cabela's and used them with neoprene socks all summer wading in the Kalamazoo River. The velcro straps on top help keep all the sand and gravel out, and the boots are light but still offer support. The only negative would be that they have a rubber sole, so they don't hold on slippery boulders.

Fred,

I still like my wading boots for wet wading since I still want the soles that will reduce slippage and the ankle support since I'm treading over so many rocks. I will mention that I've fallen in love with Simms wet wading socks that take up the space that normally would be occupied by the neoprene stocking foot of my waders and the built in cuff keeps the sand and rocks out.

I will add that I had a pair of Cabela's wading socks and they didn't hold up well for me at all.