The River Rats: First Trailer Released

sambennett

Hey Folks-

My buddy Brad and I filmed an episode for a fishing show we're working on out on the Fox this year. The full episode is still being edited, but I'd be interested to get your take on the trailer.

[media=500x281]

[/media]

Hey! Got it embedded and everything.

-SB

Hey thanks guys.

Shot in on 2 Canon DSLRs, a Handicam and a few GoPros. Editing in Final Cut X with some After Effects thrown in for good measure.

It's a little too sparkly + sepia for my tastes, but I wanted to get something out and nitpick later. Heh. That isn't the final logo either.

I like this:

River-Rats-Brand-Small.png

Or this:

River-Rat-Nation-Logo-Medium.png

Which do you like the most?

-SB

I like the whiskey label look (#1) with some refinement. All caps typically wraps / kerns cleaner along a curve.

Take the edge off the sophistication by adding a little grit. Make it slightly worn looking and not so perfect.

Let's see it in reverse (white on black) like a JD label. Keep the Fox rusty. Great start. Dig the Fox. There's some flexibility in that design to swap it out with other stuff. Fly reel, flathead cat, turtle, lure, etc.

Don't over-knit-pick your vid. The work is solid.

Hard to remove yourself Eric when you're so close to it.

I suck at all thing typography. That's a comp I made that definitely needs the hand of a designer. I like all of those ideas.

Glad you could see the Jack Daniel's reference. Kind of a mix between that and this absinthe label I found online somewhere.

I'm not sold on the fox either. I couldn't think of anything else to put in there tho. Great ideas. I like the fly reel idea. It would fit great.

Hoping Brad and I get our first fly fishing lessons from Lefty Kreh. Still a deal in the making, but I know his publisher pretty well now. That'd be sweet!

BTW - Gary Pack was asking about you the other day. I said we'd still never run into each other out there.

-SB

Really nice video!

Nice pacing, good voice over, great mix of shots. Fish, water, towns, people.

I like the first logo also

Great job on this.

I like the "spinning reels" in the bottom logo.

Hey thanks guys. Jim - we're stilll looking for some music for the pilot. So far we've got:

http://mightiestofguns.bandcamp.com/album/strange-birds

http://comacinema.bandcamp.com/album/posthumous-release

http://pocket-knife.bandcamp.com/album/broke-heartbroke

As well as the Pat Sweany song in the trailer. Trying to make the soundtrack as ecclectic as possible. If your kid can clear it, let me know. I like their music and it fits well.

Not mostly GoPro, it's 90% Canon DSLR. Not that I can recommend it, they tend to overheat at the 12 minute mark. If we had to do it over, and had some actual cash, we would have rented different stuff. But we went with what was on hand.

-SB

River Rats was the name of a group that specialized in fishing the Desplaines at Hoffman Dam. I forgot their leader's name; he was a Chicago Police officer. Gorski maybe. Are you affiliated with them?

Think "River Rats" started out as the "Brown Water Navy" -- patrol boats in Vietnam. (Gary Lange, where are you?) If you do a Google image search on River Rats you get some cool results from all over.

The artwork created by the legendary Ed "Big Daddy" Roth for Vietnam is interesting to flip through: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coop666/2576328355/in/set-72157605594959854

I'm looking forward to the soundtrack as much as the videos. Cool music selection! I have to say I'm not too keen on the 'River Rats' title graphic at the beginning of the trailer.

Me either Jude. That's a placeholder. Since no one can agree on a logo we went with something universally disliked. ;)

I love music, man. Gotta have a solid soundtrack. It's what Bourdain got right. Well, he got a lot right. His show ain't about food. At least, not only.

But production music sounds like production music. All the bass shows use it. It reflects a lack of craft, at least to me.

The fly guys get it right mostly. So does Outside TV. I suppose if you're on a hookset mission and throwin' 'em back like beer cans production music suffices. I've forced myself to watch a lot of those shows in the last 9 months. It gets really old.

I hope that our show represents that we're not out there purely to catch. We have a different mission.

We don't have anything to do with those River Rats. Although I like the gist. It's important to have a mission.

-SB

The soundtrack was cleared and licensed via Getty Music. $99 for web and mobile rights. The rest of the music will be licensed under private contract directly with artisits. Gotta shout out to Jim who gave me the idea to scour Bandcamp for emerging artisits. Standard Getty licensing is about $400 per song, per episode for broadcast. We'll be paying all artists this amount, as that's fair market value for good work. This assumes a bunch. Like that we get picked up on a network, can sell enough sponsorship to make more episodes, etc. All pilot episode stuff, aside from the theme song, is donated. Our success = artist success.

All of the images are either shot by us or licensed under the Creative Commons "for commercial use" license via Flickr. Some others came from the Illinois Digital Archive which are now public domain. I have not yet done a good job of attribution, but I will very soon.

-SB