NW Region Kishwaukee River Float Outing

I took the night off work and took the Coosa to Atwood and paddled upstream to the I-39 corridor. It wasn't bad!

Landed 3 smallies, all about 12 inches in size, and probably missed twice as many. I had a couple stirs with the top water but all fish caught

were with a tube and a some what fast retrieve. Ran across a kayak guy I know and he told me that yesterday he could see schools (about 30) of big smallies

in the shallows. He said he was use to seeing schools of small smallies, but these were BIG. Fall feed bag?

Tomorrow could be awesome. It won't rain. Have never heard from Jude on this outing. We should be good.

Not sure of anyone else, but the high winds were brutal. Throwing flies was difficult to say the least. I pretty much gave in after half way and I was a half dayer!, fighting current wasn't a problem, just trying to float down stream was an issue, kept going up stream due to the winds.

I only managed 6 fish, 5 smallmouth and 1 white bass. no real size to any of them, all around 10-12" for me. Another day maybe. It did feel good to feel a fish on the new rod though. I spent most of the second half on Twitter and Instagram :D

Glad to meet Jesse and Katie, hope you two come out again, good people and good fishermen/woman.

Gonna do a morning wade tomorrow on the S Branch by me just to feel better. Hopefully

Yep...the wind was nasty enough with spin gear. The fly rod must have been impossible. It was still a good time. I ended up with an even 30 fish, with only a 14 incher worthy of the tape. Jesse certainly found a tape-worthy fish. 19.75 inches! I also heard that Sarah got a double. Hopefully we'll see pictures of both.

First of we had a pretty good turn out. We had Jude, Jim, Tim, Paul and his wife, and Jesse and his wife. Paul Sr. joined us at the breakfast table and also kept an eye on our gear as we shuttled vehicles around.

Jude and myself did a full day float, if you want to call it that. I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out how people can keep their kayaks pointed in one direction,

I was getting blown all over the place. every time I got the Cossa positioned a big wind would come up and spin me around. I'm a failure. I landed 3.

Jude on the other hand kept his yak floating true and landed 30 smallies. Show off.

Paul can fill us in on how him and his wife did in their canoe, and Jesse can fill you all in on how him and his wife did. Rumor is Jesse nailed a monster.

Could this be Brutus?

Tim will also have to let us know how things went with him.

The high winds were burtal. Still had a good time.

Nice to see some new faces. Jesse is not allowed on the Kish anymore. :)

Group pic...

[/url]">http://IMG_0074_zps78ae7398.jpg

Jude....

[/url]">http://IMG_0075_zpsda1a245a.jpg

Thank you Terry for organizing the trip. This is one of the better turn outs I've seen for a float outing. High winds and falling leaves were the challenge of the day. It was nice having Sarah as my canoe partner. Not only is she easier to look at but she's not a fishaholic like most of us. She spent quite a bit of time keeping the canoe in position so I could fish. We did take turns keeping the boat in position which was a luxury you solo kayakers didn't have. We caught around 20-25 smallmouth along with a good sized bluegill and a 27" pike. All of our smallmouth were 13" or less and we didn't even loose a big fish. Sarah fished with a slider and plastic and I stuck with a 2.5" Sammy all day. That was frustrating at times trying to walk the dog with a huge bow in the line and even white caps on the river. I must have plucked 50 leaves off of it too but when it was in the right spot and clean it would get hit.

We did invite the 27" pike home for dinner.

pike27.jpg

Had a good time on the outing. Thanks for organizing this Terry. Here is my quick recap.

Started out with a good ole breakfast at the cafe and some good conversations. Then headed down to Bauman Park. Unloaded boats and took vehicles to take out. After returning to Bauman people began launching out at different times. I started out somewhere in the middle of the pack but eventually made my way to the back.

When going on group floats like this you have a few options depending on the size of the stream and water conditions. Since the Kish is a smaller stream and the water level is lower this time of year you have about three options if everyone launches from the same place. First you can get out front of the pack and stay there. The benefits are you hit all the good spots first and get the aggressive fish. The down side is you can't work an area too long because everyone is heading your way and it gets congested real quick. This is my usual plan but I forced myself to stay back and let others get out front.

The second option is you stay somewhere in the middle and play leapfrog. I did this for awhile and found it to be a bit of a pain. The upside is you get to see others catching fish. Jesse and Katie where doing well and where consistently catching fish. This option gives you more interaction with the others in the group.

And the third option is to stay in the back and play clean up. This where Jim started out but I eventually took his spot. The down side is of course most of the fish have seen various presentation already and have possibly been caught. At the least they may have been spook by the other anglers/boats especially in the low clear water we have on the Kish. The benefits are you can work areas longer without causing congestion. This gives you a chance to slow down and pick up less aggressive fish. And If you do something stupid and fall out of your boat no one will see. (Sorry to disappoint you Terry I stayed in my boat this time)

I was one of the half dayers who took out at KFP. It took me about 2 hours longer than usual. Because I was running late I had to blow past some good areas. The wind was a challenge. I ended up with 29 smallmouth, 1 largemouth, 2 rockbass, and a pike (about the same size as Paul and Sara's). I had three rods rigged up. Two spinning rods. One with a plastic craw on a slider head and the other with a chug bug. I also had my baitcaster rigged with a swim jig. The craw picked up most of the fish with chug bug coming in second. Many of the smallmouth were 10-13 inches. I did manage to pick up 2 at the end of the float that both went 16.5 in. I wish I had more time to fish that particular area. There were several larger smallies following these fish as I brought them in. These fish were very aggressive and slammed the craw.

They also put up a good fight.

post-1839-0-57957700-1380537604_thumb.jpgpost-1839-0-19139000-1380537628_thumb.jpg

well I apologize for the gap between the trip and posting up. First off me and katy both want to thank everyone for welcoming us with open arms. We both agree that we had an awesome time and are already talking about a repeat trip before the weather turns.

The run down was fairly easy one we both started out with a brown gitzit tube on a jig(i had a flat stand up and katy had a confidence bait draggin head) both of us tried other baits but all of our fish came on those tubes. With most of my strikes coming on the initial drop and pause with the rest coming after the first of second hop. I got strikes on poppers, buzz baits, spinner bait and a lipless crank bait but no hook ups.

I will say the picture does not do this fish justice, the current was taking me one way and the wind was pulling katy the other way.

post-2118-0-13325200-1380588692_thumb.jpg

Jesse - Thanks for the report and congrats again on the 19 3/4".

How can you two be talking of a repeat trip if YOU are no longer allowed to fish the Kish? :)

If you do decide to return feel free to let us know and maybe a couple of us will join you and do a different stretch.

By the way....Do you happen to know the total numbers you and Katy ended up with?