NW Region Kishwaukee River Wade Outing

Yes,I did have some minor surgery to remove a suspicious spot on my face.It went well and everything is good.

Your whole face is suspicious, if you ask me.

Well, it was a fine day on the Kish. Nine or ten of us showed up for the best biscuits and gravy in all of Cherry Valley. After breakfast we split up into three groups. I'm not sure how the other groups did, but my group did pretty good for numbers, but no size. I took all the fly fisherman, which included Ed, Tom, and Connor. I have a very poor record when taking guys on the Kish, so the lack of a skunk was a small victory for me.

Tom, Ed, and Connor (l-r)

DSCF0746_zpsa01f8f2b.jpg

Connor with a pretty little small. He caught quite a few in a channel along an island.

DSCF0750_zpsb9afb6d8.jpg

DSCF0752_zpsc1fbdb80.jpg

Here's Tom with a little guy. Most were about this size.

DSCF0756_zpsa900054d.jpg

On our way back we saw these guys attempting to paddle upstream. Didn't get a great look, but I'm pretty sure it was Terry's group. I think that's Terry in the red hat.

DSCF0759_zps246376df.jpg

Great day, plenty of (small) fish caught. How'd you other guys do?

Nice report.

I took my group, which consisted of Bill K, Jim S. Dale B. and myself, and we hit the confluence area of the Kish.

After having a pretty decent week of smallmouth fishing this entire week, today I started off looking kind of silly.

I'm almost certain I heard someone in my group ask another if they thought I even knew what a smallmouth looked like.

Well luckily I had Jim S in my group and he too is a fly fisherman. Jim landed a 15" smallie to get us started. Bill K followed up

with another smallmouth a bit over 15". Dale and myself were having a good time swinging sticks in the air. This was a new experience for Dale

as he has never really wade fished. We each did have a miss on top water and then I finally got one little dink.

Dale had to leave about noon to spend time with family so the rest of us got back in our cars and went to another spot.

Spot 2:

Things went much better at the second spot as my count for the day ended with 14 smallmouth (13" being the biggest) and a 22" pike.

Bill K ended up with about 7 on the day and Jim had 8 smallies last I knew and hooked into another over 15".

Jim ditched me and Bill at some point and then as me and Bill were heading back we ran across these guys.........

DSCF0759_zps246376df.jpg

No crap! They had a fire going on a sandbar and asked us if we wanted to drink some moonshine. No kidding.

I cracked up when I saw Jude's pic of these guys.

Jim S took some pics we'll get posted as soon as we can.

It was a fun day on the Kish. Bill K and myself called it a day right around 5pm.

Gotta retrieve some info from Paul T Sr.

I went with Paul Sr, he caught quite a few in the morning while I got 2 smallies and one walleye. Then Paul left and I went back to the river after a quick lunch and got 8 more smallies. One was good sized, 14 inch. Didn't take any pictures.

thanks Paul!

ericg

Dear Jude,

We didn't try the moonshine. I was going to try a little sip but just as I was reaching for a swig, I started to hear banjo music. Turned and ran

as fast as I could.

I did ask if they were having any trouble trying to paddle upstream on a very low river and stated that it seemed like an awful lot of trouble to me.

They said they were having a heck of a time.

I know us NW Region guys like to joke around a bit but the moonshine offer was real. I should have taken a sip. You only live once. Dang it!

Thanks for the report Eric. Seems your luck got better later in the day the same as mine. You wouldn't think it would work that way with

a wide open clear blue sky and high temps. What was your hot bait?

Walleye and one smallie on a twister, the rest on mini-senko. Nothing on Hula or tube.

Eric

Thanks Terry for the outing, was nice to see everyone again and meet some new guys as well. Connor, we'll have to hook up. Great spots near a certain farm you spend time at ;-)

I've been using an Orange-n-Black "Bitch Creek" fly all summer in the Kish, it's a great fly. Read about them in American Angler and can be found on Ebay.

I had a great time Saturday.I got to see some good friends that I don't get to see often enough.I had a good country breakfast with some very good company and met some new folks to boot.

I spent a very pleasant day on the Kish with Jude providing his excellent services as our guide.I caught a few small smallies,a couple rock bass and something very big that I think was a cat fish.I didn't get to see it clear enough before it spit the fly.All in all it was well worth the drive for such a good time.

I did however start to get nervous when I heard that banjo music on the river.

Thanks to both Jude and Terry for a great outing

I was going to try a little sip but just as I was reaching for a swig, I started to hear banjo music. Turned and ran

as fast as I could.

Towards it?

Thanks Terry for the outing, was nice to see everyone again and meet some new guys as well. Connor, we'll have to hook up. Great spots near a certain farm you spend time at ;-)

I've been using an Orange-n-Black "Bitch Creek" fly all summer in the Kish, it's a great fly. Read about them in American Angler and can be found on Ebay.

What size fly? Bead-head or non bead-head? I'd like to give that a try.

Eric