Chocklett Fly Factory

Blane-Chocklett-674x1024.jpg

Yes Elizabeth, there is a Blane Chocklett. Having dissed the Banjo Fly, I felt some remorse after I found this. It is a much clearer look at the articulated product.

http://flymenfishingcompany.org/products/fish-skull-products/chockletts-articulated-big-game-shank/

The hokey video put me off because it borrowed so much from the Banjo Minnow Infomercial and recycled the "Giant Leap" that Neil Armstrong spoke in 1969. Those were sacred words that should not become debased by use in marketing slogans. Sorry, the spine looks good but it is not the caliber of walking on the moon.

BGS_detail-1024x425.jpg

Now that I calmed down I have to say that these wire forms have some promise. They seem to beat the mono loops we often see used for the application. And once I figure out the size wire to use, I can fabricate them from material that I have at hand in the exact length I need.

Next there is a question of what to tie. An articulated Shannon comes to mind along with an articulated iBait. The Fly Men site also suggests applications for poppers and bunnies.

One question still haunts me. "Is anyone in any SA using these for Smallmouths?"

Mike,

Kelly Galloup has created several articulated flies for big Browns and I know of people using them for Smallies as well and having success with them. There is no reason why they wouldn't work. Will they perform better than a non-articulated fly of similar pattern? Don't know. Take a peek at the site below for more info.

http://flyfoundry.com/fly-tying-videos-the-best-of-youtube/brian-wise-ties-kelly-galloup-patterns/

Guest rich mc

joseph meyer tied an articulated fly at his shop once. I cant remember if the rear hook eye was bent so it was more flexible or the loop was tied different to give better action . I don't think the new shanks are rocket science but just a common sense improvement. whats next ? perhaps having a kink shank so dumbbell eyes can be added rich mc

DSCF1421.jpg

Yes, the segments are easy to make even with rusty tools. Here are my prototypes made from .030" d stainless wire. When you string them together they look like the paperclip bracelets we used to make as kids. Not to overlook the obvious, you could probably make these out of paperclips too. That would beat the mfgr.'s 50 cents each for the 3" model.

Now I will create the Bride (short for Bride of Frankenstein) fleshing out the skeleton with pieces from Craig's, Rich's, and Tom's flies. Too bad we no longer have that fly contest at the Blowout.

Mike,

have you tried just tying in a piece of 20 lb mono loop off the shank of the first hook? Would it be that inferior to the wire ones you are creating? Just curious.

Rob,

In a word,"Tooth Proof." A Musky or Pike can slice through that 20# mono like before you can blink. If I am going to bother with these stretch flies, I want half a chance at one of these bonus fish. A SECOND word, per diameter the tooth proof wire will be three times as strong as mono. E. g. the .030" diameter wire I am using tests at about 150#. For security that gives me belt and suspenders. I like that.