Water Usage Stamps for Illinois small watercraft.

Dick G

• 1 year later...

So you need a registration sticker and water usage sticker?

Is that right. I guess I thought once the water usage sticker came into play, that took the place of the registration.

Please correct me. Thanks

So you need a registration sticker and water usage sticker?

Is that right. I guess I thought once the water usage sticker came into play, that took the place of the registration.

Please correct me. Thanks

From the IDNR website...

Non-motorized watercraft, canoe, kayak, paddle boat, or sail board, in Illinois are no longer required to be titled/registered in Illinois, unless the vessels have a motor or sail. You are now required to purchase a 'Water Usage Stamp' for $6.00 per calendar year for each of the first three vessels, and $3.00 each for any additional vessels Please note: an agent fee of $.50 will be charged per vessel. The stamps are good for one year. They expire on December 31st each year. Your Stamp can be adhered anywhere on the interior or exterior of the vessel as long as it is visible.

Registration is for motorized boats.

My personal opinion on the Water Usage Stamp is that it is a joke.

Up here in the NW Region we only ever seem to get half of what we pay for.

None of the retailers who sell the stamp ever have the adhesive part of the stamp.

Thanks Terry, that's what I thought.

I only get the stickers from Dicks in Oswego and only when one person is working. He is the only one that know the whole scoop, adhesive portion as well. ;(

• 2 weeks later...

The Bolingbrook Bass Pro does a good job of printing up the stamps and supplying the adhesive sheets. They do not store your kayak information at the store. It all goes to the DNR, so you have to have your boat ID #, boat model and manufacturer names as well as the color of boat. They also use your fishing license to connect your information to the DNR.

• 10 months later...

According to a conservation police officer I just spoke to at the Tinley Park Fishing Show, as of June 1, all non-motorized watercraft will no longer even require registration. No stamps or 3 year sticker. Technically, a water usage stamp is still required until  June 1 but the DNR is not going to write anybody a ticket for not having one when the requirement will end in another month or two. 

If your boat has a motor, gas or electric, it will have to be registered.

• 3 months later...