July 13th Float Your Boat

I plan to attend. Float Your Boat will be my first ISA event. I'll be one of those attending who is considering buying a watercraft in the near future. ;)

I look forward to meeting you Saturday.

Perhaps we'll also have some Jackson fishing kayaks for you to try.

I look forward to meeting you Saturday.

Perhaps we'll also have some Jackson fishing kayaks for you to try.

Sounds good, Ed. I look forward to meeting you as well. I've noticed that Jackson tends to be the favored brand here on the ISA forums. Jackson must put out a good product.

With P&T temporarily out of the picture, this is shaping up as a true ISA event. Team Jackson will be there, and Wilderness Systems will have a strong group of supporters. Any Pungos? Should Jackson challenge all comers to a tug of war. (The Battle of the Bathtub Toys!) :D

Still, when the ripples calm, I think you will all be paddling Wenonah's or wishing you could. I sould show you, but the 100 mile one-way trip is out of my range.

Sorry . . . will not attend since I already own a Wenonah 17' Spirit II kevlar canoe equipped with two 8 oz. bent shaft paddles, a trolling motor, sponses, and a portable depth/fish locator . . . all of which my wife accuses me of being over-equipped!!!

Sorry . . . will not attend since I already own a Wenonah 17' Spirit II kevlar canoe equipped with two 8 oz. bent shaft paddles, a trolling motor, sponses, and a portable depth/fish locator . . . all of which my wife accuses me of being over-equipped!!!

You really should bring your infamous wenonah with all of its goodies to show to everyone

Should have Bet!!!!

You have chosen wisely!

What kind of sponses did you get? (Though they get outstanding paddling performance, the Wenonah designs can seem tippy to some. For the man that has to stand, sponsons put Wenonahs over the top as the best choice for just about everything.) Right now they are the missing piece in my puzzle. I want to choose wisely.

PS You are under equipped. (Tell your wife I sed so.) You need a 240-250 double bladed paddle for fishing or solo paddles.

We had four officers and seven members attend the outing with the following watercraft on display:

> Mike A's NuCanoe Frontier 12 (fishing kayak) with trolling motor

> Mike A's Wilderness Systems Ride 115 (fishing kayak)

> Eric's Old Town Vashon XT Tandem (touring kayak)

> Ed's Mohawk Solo 14 (canoe)

> Eugene's WaterTender Sportsman II (boat) with trolling motor

Think there may have been a few more out on the lake during the morning but that's what I saw around the launch area.

It was a nice morning to meet up and chat about boats and fishing in a very casual setting. The weather was gorgeous and the water was refreshing. A few of the attendees fished Jericho Lake for bass and 'gills. My son Brent and I loaded up and hit the Fox for the easy mulberry bite. Brent boated 4 carp and 8 channel cats. I caught three smallies, including an 18", on the swim jig near swift water / rock.

Thanks to Chicagoland Region Coordinator Ed Buric for putting the outing together. We should consider doing another one with more watercraft on moving water so folks can really test the boats in a river situation. Big difference when there's current involved! Was glad to see Steve "Spiz" attend and work the fly rod with friends.

NuCanoe Frontier 12 fishing kayak

Old Town Vashon XT Tandem touring kayak, Mohawk Solo 14 canoe, Wilderness Systems Ride 115 fishing kayak

Mike A., Ed Buric, Eugene Collins

Eugene Collins and my son Brent in Eugene's WaterTender Sportsman II

John Loebach and Mike A. discuss bassbugging

Mike A. working a bassbug

Mike A. and his fully-rigged NuCanoe Frontier 12 fishing kayak

John Loebach tries out the thrust on Mike A's NuCanoe Frontier 12 fishing kayak with trolling motor

Even organizer Ed Buric in his Mohawk Solo 14 canoe

It is a shame that Steve couldn't make it with his infamous wenonah with all the goodies.The weather was absolutely perfect for playing around in boats as the thirteen members that attended can attest.We had a total of eight different kayaks and canoes to inspect and try out on the water.

the fishing started out pretty good with a decent top water bite but then it slowed down considerably as the sun began to rise and it warmed up.

All in all it turned out to be a successful outing even though Paddle and Trail was not able to participate with us this year.

When I saw that Eric had his camera out and was taking pictures I didn't even bother to take mine out.There is no way that I can can compete with Eric when it comes to photography.I have no doubt that Eric will post some great shots of the event.

Eric beat me to it by a minute

Maybe those awesome Wenonahs will make an appearance. Envious after reading all the fishing reports from 'em!

Nice jab, but you miss the mark. Because, really, does the boat find the fish, rig the rod, select the bait, make the cast, work the retrieve, set the hook, and land the fish? That's why manufacturers hire pros to video fishing from their boats. If a Jackson does all that there would be video, wouldn't there? And if there were, I would take another look at Jacksons. Or is the Jackson better just because there are more reports from the users than say from Wilderness users. On the circuit Ranger buries them both. How about Pungos? ;-)

TOW (time on water) makes the difference. And that TOW gets divided between paddling and fishing. With a high performance hull, you are going to spend less time paddling. Connect the dots.

I am posting this as a service to the ISA membership so that they will not assume that rotomolded $1K kayaks are the only choice out there.