Deer hair popper

Hey guys. Instead of tying these like normal, I started the first stack of hair right against a thread damm at the eye. That way, as I stacked the layers of hair towards the bend, I was pushing the hair back towards the eye, causing the hair to cup a little bit. Just seeing if I could get a little more pop out of deer hair. This obviously isn't finished, and a bit sloppy, but just screwing around. Ryan

2prsgup.jpg

o0x7o5.jpg

Just a thought. Suppose this technique turns out to produce bugs that outperform those tied with standard back to front spinning. Since front to back may be clumsy for knots and applying material, one can get the desired effect by clamping the eye of the hook in the vise and tying normally. (Righties left to right. Lefties right to left.) No problem with straight shank hooks and a rotating vise. Even with a non rotating vise, one would adapt quickly to tying with a top view instead of a side view.

I am also looking forward to seeing the final product and hearing how it performs in the water.

Interesting. I'm thinking you're going to have to add a foam disk right behind the eye and inside the cup to get the pop.

Good point. A little RTV, epoxy, or Softex in the cup might be needed to firm it up. But it might be fine without it.

(Maybe an earplug would work, Terry. :) )

I did use some hard as nails on the inside cup, just to firm it up a bit. Took it out yesterday, and it popped. I was very pleased! The hair basically ended up being pushed back, so it didn't keep the cupped shape, but became a large disk of hair, that moved a lot of water, and still really popped.

I am waiting to see what this critter looks like as a finished fly.

(Being a minimalist I hope all you did was add a squirrel hair tail. The rest-- 3-D Eyes, Whiskers, Hackle Skirt, Flaired Hackle Legs, Etc. Etc.-- are Eye Candy that don't do much for the fish though fishermen like them. At least they increase wind resistance and give you a better workout.)

Here you go Mike. Not as simplistic as what you like, but still simple. I agree with you though, all my foam blockhead poppers are just squirrel hair tail and the block, thats it. Not the best pic, but you can see how the body was pushed back after fishing, which caused it to move even more water. Ryan

2le4bhs.jpg