Baitcasting Rod Advice

Kev-mo

So I've been wanting to get a baitcasting rod to pair up w/my Curado e7 for a couple years. The two rods I have were not right. One was too parabolic/not a quick enough tip. The other although a good rod, feels too stiff/won't load up. Really not sure which way to go... I really like the action on my spinning St. Croix 6.6 ML Premier. Seems to have enough backbone for bigger fish but the tip section is fast/light enough to load up with smaller baits yet doesn't feel underpowered throwing a sammy. I imagine in heavy current this rod might be skosh underpowered but my St. Croix MP is too much rod.

I guess I'm looking for a goldilocks type rod or as close as I can get. I have some BPS cards and can spend at least $100-150. I like St Croix and Shimano. Anyone have any user feedback? I know what looks good on paper but what does anything actually cast/fish like?

Kevin,

I took up casting equipment about three years ago due to continually upping the size of baits I was throwing. Spinning stuff just isn't the right thing for large thumpers and 4 inch swimjigs.

I matched my casting rods exactly with my spinning rods. All st croix. I like 6' med light fast action.

I think you're somewhere around naperville so we live close. If you want to swing by you can try my setup any time. I am on a lake so youcan just go out and throw some different baits.

Sucks to buy a rod without trying and then find out you don't like it

Kevin,

You have a real First World Problem there. Bass Pro gift cards with BP right down the street. Jim standing by to show you what he uses. (A guy in the Third World is lucky to own a hook and 20 yds of mono scavanged from a Mangrove at low tide.) And then you have us to advise you.

Traditionally a guy with your problem looks for a new rod. Not my brother. He strapped his multiplier onto a medium heavy spinning rod, turned it over, and did just fine. By that I mean to say that you may already own the rod you need.

Now I will go traditional and help you spend your money if you insist on spending it. There are a lot of Medium casting rods out there designed for 1/4 to 3/4 oz lures right in your price range. Of course Length is important since they come in lengths from 5.5 to 7.5 ft. That is where trying Jim's rods will help you narrow it down to what feels good for you. Right along with length goes Pieces. A 6-7 ft rod fits fine in a car or SUV, but it becomes another thing when you are flying somewhere. Travel rods in 3-4 pieces will fit in a suitcase. (Business travelers planning to sneak in some fishing like them because the folks at the office never suspect the boss isn't all business all the time.) I say that brand is subjective, though some are more sensitive about being seen on the water with a no-name rod since it is like dating a gal who isn't blond. Unfortunately your $150 max caps your ability to flash the really high end stuff like Loomis.

For me the Bass Pro travel casting rod that delivers almost everything is the $150 TFO 7 ft Medium Travel Rod (TFGTRC704-3). That's just me. For your final selection, you can bring your reel over to Bass Pro and ask the salesman to try a few of the models they have on the floor. Or you can order with free delivery to the store. First World problems are the best problems to have.

Kevin,

For me the Bass Pro travel casting rod that delivers almost everything is the $150 TFO 7 ft Medium Travel Rod (TFGTRC704-3). That's just me. For your final selection, you can bring your reel over to Bass Pro and ask the salesman to try a few of the models they have on the floor. Or you can order with free delivery to the store. First World problems are the best problems to have.

You seldom see casting rods that come in 3 pieces unless someone lost an argument with a car door, twice. Bass fishermen don't travel in airplanes to fish, they travel by pickup truck that has a boat attached to the back. TFO rods that are the usual one piece are pretty good rods, are available at Bass Pro and are only $100.

It honestly all depends on what you plan to use as far as baits. Figure that out and I'm a wealth of information. I'm Abu all the way. However, Gander Mtn Advantage rods are killer and I beat the sh*t out of them. Only paid thirty bucks for each of them. I would have to strongly disagree with Jim as far as 6' goes. The only thing I would ever use a 6' for is maybe a sammy. Fish throw the hooks easier on other baits when u drop below 6'6". If you want to jig/worm/spinnerbait fish you should get a MH 6'6"+. Shallow-medium crank 6'6" M. Deep Crank 7' MH. Topwater 6'6" M.