Bulls Eye!

Mike G

I was going through the new Bass Pro catalog and came across the Pesky Perch which just may be the latest greatest thing this season. It's a panfish shaped soft plastic lure that you rig flat Texas style weighted or plain. It's a killer, figuratively <_<

pperch2.jpg

I felt great because my dying panfish fly was right on target.

DSCF1366.jpg

The fly world will beat a path to my door. Maybe. For then I remember the South Bend Vacuum Lure-an old bait that dates back to the '30s.

Souuth_Bend_Vacuum_Bait.jpg

So that is why that funny looking flat lure worked. See it?

Ambrose Bierce - "There is nothing new under the sun but there are lots of old things we don't know."

Mikea

The pattern is a radical new creation by me first tied early in 2013.

Dana,

Thanks. A dean Rojas endorsement really gives this some credibility. So I will try to catch the wave.

DSCF1366.jpg

The Vacuum Fly, Dying Panfish

The Dying Panfish is the first in a series of Vacuum Flies (copywrighted 2013) inspired by the 1909 Heddon Vacuum bait. Dying Crappie, Dying Perch/Firetiger, and Dying Creek Chub models will soon be available. The Pro Model Vacuum Fly features the Riendeau Ringer (trademarked) interchangeable weight system and can be fished unweighted or easily weighted with your choice of dumbell eyes. For information on purchasing this cutting edge fly contact fliesthatwork@yahoo.com. Mention this post.

The Vacuum Fly, fish suck it up!

• 4 weeks later...

Recipe??

Mikea

The pattern is a radical new creation by me first tied early in 2013.

Dana,

Thanks. A dean Rojas endorsement really gives this some credibility. So I will try to catch the wave.

DSCF1366.jpg

The Vacuum Fly, Dying Panfish

The Dying Panfish is the first in a series of Vacuum Flies (copywrighted 2013) inspired by the 1909 Heddon Vacuum bait. Dying Crappie, Dying Perch/Firetiger, and Dying Creek Chub models will soon be available. The Pro Model Vacuum Fly features the Riendeau Ringer (trademarked) interchangeable weight system and can be fished unweighted or easily weighted with your choice of dumbell eyes. For information on purchasing this cutting edge fly contact fliesthatwork@yahoo.com. Mention this post.

The Vacuum Fly, fish suck it up!

Recipe??

If you can tell me when fly patterns became recipes, I will get right on it. Actually I will probably be getting to it anyway though I sure would like to know when fly tying moved from the workshop to the kitchen.

Ingredients and preparation instructions please? :)

OK

1/16 tsp Polyester

1/128 tsp Pheasant Feathers

1/256 tsp Imitation Jungle Cock

1/64 tsp Black Nylon

1/128 tsp Red Nylon

1/64 tsp Steel

Dash Sally Hansen's

Bring all ingredients to room temperature

Mix Polyester, Steel and Nylon

Add Dash of SH

Garnish with Pheasant, Jungle Cock, and Red Nylon ;)

Introduction

Here is the long awaited pattern for the Dying Bluegill. Besides unlocking the secrete of the horizontal wings on the Bluegill fly, it also provides the method for tying more traditional fake bunny vertical wings. Though it is similar to tying double bunnies, the use of fake fur strips provides a way to create the more rounded shapes typical of pan fish, shad, and saltwater crabs.

How many pictures are enough? That question bothered me as I put this together. With a little research I found that Bob Clouser’s treatment on tying his Minnow covered six pages and used 27 pictures. For the same pattern Skip Morris used two pages and nine pictures. One of my oldest books on tying has hundreds of patterns and practically no pictures. There are eight or nine patterns on each page. Here I am giving you one picture and one and a half pages.

Dying Bluegill Pattern and Tying Instructions

DSCF1363.jpg

Materials in Order of Use

Hook: Eagle Claw 413 1/0

Thread: D Wt. Nylon Rod Winding, Red and Black

Thread Wax

Tail: Guard hairs from Distinctive Fabric’s Brown Husky Fur

Wings: Strips of Distinctive Fabric’s Brown Husky Fur

Throat: Distinctive Fabric’s Orange Extra Long Hair Fur

Shoulder:Ring Neck Pheasant Shoulder

Cheek:Ring Neck Pheasant Back

Eyes: Imitation Jungle Cock

Additional Items:X-Aacto or Excel Medium Concave Blade (#28), Pliobond Adhesive

Wing Preparation

1. Clamp top corner of Husky Fur swatch in vise jaw with fabric side facing you. Use concave blade to slice 3/16 to ¼ inch wide strip from the edge of the swatch cutting with the lay of the fur not across it.
  2. From the long strip cut two smaller strips the length of the hook shank. Taper both ends of each strip to a point. Notre: Husky Fur guard hairs are in small tufts spaced about one inch apart unlike guard hairs on natural fur. The tier should cut strips so that the tufts come out symmetrically when the wings are installed on both sides of the fly. In my original pattern, I cut the wing strips so that no tufts were included in the wing.
  3. Put a coat of Pliobond on the fabric side of each wing and allow to dry. A toothpick does a good job of spreading the Pliobond

Tying Instructions

1. Start thread at 60 deg bend in hook. Note: if you want to include dumbbell eyes, beads, cone heads, weed guards, or wire weighting in the fly, take care of that at this point.
  2. Wrap thread back to the end of the shank and tie in a bushy tail of Husky Fur guard hairs.
  3. Tie tips of the wing strips opposite each other on the shank in front of tail with the lay of the fur sloping toward the tail.
  4. Wrap thread forward to 60 deg bend.
  5. Apply coat of Pliobond to fabric of far side wing, lay wing along hook shank, and tie off at 60 deg bend. Apply Pliobond to fabric of near side wing. Allow Pliobond to get tacky without drying completely. Lay near side wing along hook shank and tie off at 60 deg bend. Press wings firmly together so that they wrap around and cover the hook shank.
  6. Tie small bunch of orange fur on top of wing on one side to form throat.
  7. Tie brown striped pheasant feather on top of wings for a shoulder. It should reach almost to the hook bend. Tie blue toned pheasant feather on top of shoulder to form cheek. Tie Jungle Cock eye on top of cheek. Invert fly and repeat application of shoulder, cheek, and Jungle Cock to other side.
  8. Whip finish and partially form tapered head with black thread. Tie off black thread and cut. Use red thread to make a red band on the head. Tie off, cut and cement.

Variations with Vertical Wings

DSCF1261.jpg

DSCF1179.jpg