Some people call it a twitch bait.....

When the video began I was impressed at his ability to pickup a jerkbait fish on slack line -- considering the waves. Then he proceeds to unhook a smallie caught on a plastic. ;-)

It's be cool if it was really the walleye from the Jimmy Fallon video...

Guy had those bass dialed in.

Picked up 3 fish real quick on the jerkbait and missed a few hits followed up with 3 on tubes and one on a sassy shad fished above a tube. Dropshot / double rig. Using shorter twitches on the jerkbait with the colder water. Nice way to cover big slow pools quickly. Largemouths in ponds hitting suspending jerkbaits and shad raps. This is a good way to get the feel and build confidence in these lures.

Made it over to Indiana today kind of a last minute decision water super low very clear. First eddy was iced over no fish on edges broke the ice and pushed it down stream. Brenden talked about this ice breaker move. This paid off as the last fish of the day was caught here. Next pool also very shallow had a size 6 x- rap about 2 1/2" long that I didn't think I'd ever use because it swims so shallow it picked up two 13" in a foot or so of water. Picked up one more on a size 4 in some deeper 3' water. I picked up one on a tube and missed a bite my friend Jeff picked up one on a tube also. Next spot up stream standing above the river you could see the big carp I new that there would be some smallmouths there. Used the shallow size 6 and watched three fish on three casts come up and hit it. Picked up one more on a tube. Jeff had the big fish of the day on a tube. Last fish from the iced over eddy caught on the size 8 x rap. Seven on the jerkbait four on the tube. Pretty fun to see those bass hit the jerkbait.

Phil,

It was neat to see you pull 3 fish in a row on the jerkbait in icy water less than 2 feet deep. The carp thing is interesting. It seems that late November through early March, spotting carp is a great way to locate the smallies. I guess the question is whether they independently seek the same water, which could falsely give the impression that smallies enjoy the company of carp. I don't think it's that simple though, there appears to be something more to it. At the very least, even if they do find the same spots independently, the carp are convenient and visible markers for smallies. You saw those carp, and the smallies didn't emerge from the shadows until they hit your jerkbait.

I was looking for a good internet article or video on fishing jerk baits in cold water. Of course, there are several for fall or spring fishing, but not much on sub 40 degree water. I did find this video on winter tubejig fishing, which is sort of interesting.

http://anglerstube.com/view/1280/chasing-winter-river-smallmouth-w-tube-jigs/

Jeff