Kayaks

Terry Dodge

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both!,

I have a sit in (Ascend FS10), I like it a lot, but think the sit on would be better if your gonna get in and out a lot to spot wade. Lets say in the spring when the water is much cooler and you have waders on, a sit on will be much easier to deal with for this.

I sold my motorcycle at the end of summer and will be getting a sit on by Moken this spring. Lucky to be able to have both, I've also talked the wife into giving it a try and that should be a hoot :D

In the end, it's what's most comfortable for you and what little options your looking for. Just my thoughts.

Sit in = drier because you have a deck all around and can even add a spray skirt covering the cockpit. Therefore lots better if you do whitewater. But getting in and out is more of a challenge. Paddling ease varies with hull design, but sit ins usually have a more streamlined shape to cut through the water. This is your whitewater design.

Sit on = wetter because you are not covered at all, but waders or a wet suit take care of that. Easy to fall off if you are in whitewater. Easy in and out because there is no in and out. One just sits down or stands up. Paddling ease varies with hull design, but sit ons tend to have broader "recreational" shapes that give away ability to cut through the water in order to be less "tippy." Sometimes referred to as a flat water design.

I have studied kayaks a lot a cannot find one that will do it all. Jim is lucky to have a couple for different conditions.

Sit on top. I just did a 50 mile paddle in Michigan on my Coosa. I was very close to getting rid of it to get a solo canoe or sit in kayak , but extremely glad I did not. I had three days worth of camping stuff in the hull of the boat, a cooler on the back deck behind the seat. I had to wear waders while paddling, water temp was 40 degrees. As long as you get a SOT with an elevated seat, you will not get wet, other than some water from the paddles. I have done whitewater trips in the Ozarks in a canoe, and I would feel way more secure going through them in the SOT than a canoe. Matter of fact, two experienced paddlers in my group flipped their canoe about 30 seconds into the Michigan trip, just trying to get around some downed logs. I was able to actually ride over half submerged logs, kind of teetering, without loss of stability. It got to the point where I was looking for something to challenge the stability of it. I know their has been a lot of talk about the Coosa, but its awesome. Manueverable, tough, carried lots of gear, and I could just throw my legs off the side and hop out when needed. Coosa or not, I would take a SOT, as long as it has the elevated seat, and some hull storage space. Just my opinion. Ryan

Having only tried Kayak fishing a couple times, I could see how a sit on would be better for the stream if you were going to get in and out a lot. Or carrying more gear as Ryan said. But for pond fishing, which I do more of, once your in your in. Plus you don't have to worry about stuff falling off the deck into the water.

When I started looking, I knew I wouldn't get my money's worth buying top notch only going out a couple times a season. So I didn't want to spend a lot in case I didn't like it. I think I scored well this Summer, using a timely sale and additional discount coupon to get my Fishing Excursion 10 (http://www.klindustries.com/kayaks/excursion.html) at Sports Authority for right around $200. Not a lot of whistles and bells and I wouldn't run whitewater. But it does float, have rod holders and it runs true using my $30 paddle. May not be adequate for hard core users but to me it's perfect for once a month outings to the forest preserve.

Some really nice comments. Ryan, nice post and would like to hear from you more often!

Considering Terry's situation on the Kish and Kilbuck, a smaller sit-in is very affordable, lightweight, easy to load / unload and transport. You can drop in just about anwhere with ease and enjoy the boat. Perfect for hit-and-run type fishing and exploring small waters. Leave the waders at home. Keep stealth and stay in the kayak. Some slop boots are perfect for shallow put-in / take-out and you're done. Easy on your budget without all the bells and whistles marketed towards anglers -- most of which are "nice to haves" but rarely "must haves."

Sit on tops are nice and comfy but there is also added weight to lift and push. You're also higher and if it's windy, it can be tough.

Your budget is going to determine a lot. I think a 10.5' sit-in between $500 - $700 is enough for most situations around here. Also consider the cost of any additional equipment needed for transport, storage, a life vest, paddle and anchor.

It's always good to test paddle before you buy. See what feels comfortable, especially if you have any back issues. You might rule-in / rule-out either style quickly. The best boat is the one you'll actually use!

I guess I'll chime in and go with SOT. My very first kayak a long time ago was a cheap little sit in. It got the job done which was just to get me floating and accessing previously unaccessible water. After awhile I wanted to bring a few more things with me such as a small cooler, some food, a rain jacket, extra rods and other asst. equipment as well as finding space for the wallet keys etc.. I finally bit the bullet and bought the SOT. Best move I ever made. More room to move around in, easier to get to stuff instead of having it tucked inside the boat. Anchoring seems easier with the SOT and in shallower water a pole can be stuck through a scupper hole to hold you in place. The SOT may be a little more wet but not much at least not enough to be a consideration from my perspective. The ease of entering and exiting also goes to the SOT. I see Eric likes to hit and run fish and thinks something smaller or lighter would be more effective but I find that once I get to the water I'm usually in for an extended period of time. He has the equipment thing nailed. Add up all the costs of equipment and the kayak it will not be cheap no matter how you cut it. Used is a great idea. If you want to look for cheap and floats Craigslist is a good starting spot for used that will get you on the water for the least amount of money. Test drive is a great idea but the problem is it gives you just a short period of time and you may find that it might take you a whole season to find out how you like to have your kayak set up. Look at the kayak fishing websites for great info to try and save time and money on setup mistakes. I went through about 4-5 kayaks before I settled into a WS Ride 135. For me it offers a nice stable platform for fishing. Good Luck.

One other thing to note. Another thing I observed on my trip, was that the gear inside the sit in kayak, and canoes, had to be in dry bags. Their was a considerable amount of water on the bottom of the the sit in boats at the end of the day. We were covering a lot of water, so definetely not a typical couple hour quick fishing session. Just something else to keep in mind. Eric made a good point, the weight of a SOT. They are heavy, just enough to annoy you if you have a long haul from the car to the water. Thats what almost caused me to sell it, but again, after having the chance to spend a solid 3 days paddling along canoes and a sit in, so glad I kept it. The others were jealous how comfortable I was, and how easy I could manuever the constant bends.

Thanks for the info.

Right now I'm eyeballing the WS Ride 115 Angler.... (http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/angling/angling_kayaks/ride_angler_2012/ride_115_angler_2012)

Other eyeballers include the Coosa - http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/coosa/

and

BassProShops Ascend FS12T http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-SitOnTop-Angler-Kayak-Olive/product/61401647/

Jackson does have better color choices but the price is something that just don't set well with me. Doesn't mean it's out of the running, just hard to swallow.

The WS Ride 115 looks nice but need to make a trip to Paddle & Trail and take a good look at it. The price is better at about $860.00.

The Ascend at BassProShops will need to be looked at in person but has the gooder price at $499.00.

I looked into the Moken yaks but those are not made in the USA so I'll pass on those.

This is kind of fun.

Do paddles come with yaks?

HA!

That would be a deal breaker on the Coosa then. If I'm going to spend that kind of cash then I feel they should toss in a paddle.

Call me old school but that's just the way I am. New car and no free calendar with my picture next to the car, no deal.

The same might apply for the WS Ride 115.

Should have kept Jude's yak stick earlier this year I guess.

SOT would be my choice. I had a 10 ft SIS for a few years and sold it recently. It was a great choice for my budget at the time and worked fine for the waters I fish. It was light weight and easy to transport. It came with a paddle and several other accessories. The only thing I had to purchase extra was a life jacket. There are several disadvantages to a SIS that wouldn't be a factor with a SOT. Don't go low end on this purchase. Many of the $200-$500 models are made from lower quality materials. They will get the job done but won't last as long for the avid angler. Others may disagree but I'm speaking from my own experience. I'm a little harder on my gear than some. If you only plan to use it occasionally the cheaper models may do. Get the best you can within your budget. Make sure you TEST DRIVE and ask for a discount. Try loading on your vehicle before you buy. I agree Terry...Made in the USA is the only option. Do your research and don't fall for marketing hype.

I'm looking forward to what I consider an upgrade. I would suggest craigslist to find a deal. Or Paddle and Trail for a new one. Don't forget about their give back program for the ISA.

I'm going new not used.

Kind of thinking I've got it down to the Coosa or the WS Ride 115 Angler. Come yo find out that there is a WS Ride 115 (standard) that

sells for $869.00. The WS Ride 115 Angler goes for $1019.00 which is still $130.00 (paddle money?) less than the Coosa going at 1149.00.

Being so close in price, the color choices come more into play and the Coosa seems to have the edge there.

Another option to considered is the Tom L. donated Coosa at the Bronzeback Blowout. Would anybody happen to know if that silent auction

Coosa is "color-as-is", or is there a choice of color for the winner?

I saw a walk through video of the Ascend and the person that did the video said that they really like the yak but did state that he had problems

with denting ( lower quality materials ) from the heat of direct sun light. That kind of scared me away from that.

I have been in touch with Paddle & Trail (Loves Park) and mention the "Give Back Program" the guy kind of made it sound like that was an Aurora store thing.

I have an open budget on this, it's just that I'm kind of a cheap bastage so I have a hard time spending more than 5 bucks on anything.

I've got all winter to sort this out. Your guy's help is greatly appreciated.

I completely understand where you are coming from Terry, its really hard to spend that kind of cash on the Coosa. I had a hard time biting the bullet, but so glad I splurged for it. No regrets, I honestly think the Coosa could last me a last time, or until I can no longer load it on my car. Even if its just a casual, once a month paddler, they get beat up more just to and from the water than anything. Ive had it baking on the top of my car all day in the summer, and it sits in my cold garage all winter. No issues with the hull yet. I think what sold me on it vs other SOTs, was how much storage it has. Even if I dont have it loaded with camping equipment all the time, I have a large streamer box, two of my nine foot fly rods, life preserver and my paddle stored in the hull pretty much all summer. Just take it out when I get to the water, good to go. Again, just my opinion, but I would splurge on what you actually want, not what your willing to settle with. Ryan

"No regrets, I honestly think the Coosa could last me a last time, or until I can no longer load it on my car."

There's the rub.

Before buying anything, here's the place to go. It is not that far from Rockford. Huge selection. You can test paddle on Lake Monona. That alone makes it worth the trip.

Rutabaga Paddlesports

220 West Broadway

Madison, WI 53716

Preshop on their site. http://www.rutabaga.com/

Paddle and trail has been helping the ISA with events and stream conservation over the last few years. They also donate a portion of money to the isa for every kayak purchchased if you let them know. Their service is great. I highly recommend buying there.

Paddle and trail has been helping the ISA with events and stream conservation over the last few years. They also donate a portion of money to the isa for every kayak purchchased if you let them know. Their service is great. I highly recommend buying there.

Good idea. Try at Rutabaga. Buy at P&T.

Don't some of the sit-ins have really big openings in order to make it easier for entry and exit? or is it still much tougher than the sit-ons? My problem is the weight of some of these 70+ lb. crafts when alone, not sure how comfortable I would be handling those now that my days in the WWWF are over.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I think i've got my options down to three (3).

All are from Wilderness Systems. The first is a Ride 115 Advance AKS Angler Kayak that is loaded that goes for $899....

http://www.kayakcity.com/wilderness-systems-ride-115-advance-akc-angler-kayak/

The second is a near loaded (fish package) Ride 115, minus the slide trax bait caster rod holder which is going for $825....

http://www.kayakcity.com/wilderness-systems-ride-115-kayak-2012-closeout/

The third is a Tarpon 100 that goes for $725 (Advanced Angler package) and has me wondering if this is all the yak I need?.....

http://www.kayakcity.com/wilderness-systems-tarpon-100-kayak-2012-closeout/

Any thoughts or pros & cons on my choices?

I have a Tarpon 120 and love it. The weight is the only drawback. The ten footer should work just fine if the kish is your main destination. It won't track great in the long, slow sections, like the 90 bridge to cherry valley. If you do a lot of lake paddling, you might wish you had a longer boat.

As for the "fishing" packages, I strongly suggest avoiding them. Buy the boat you want, fish in it several times, then add what you feel is necessary. Then you'll know what you want and where you want it.

I paddled a SOT Wildy 115 Ride all this summer, I bought it for my oldest thinking i would "borrow it" from time time for some of the smaller flows in my area. I found I really didn't care for it all that much compared to my Commander.

My Wildy commander 140 is a hybred much like a Native, a cross between a canoe and a yak if you will. For the mellow flows in are parts I have found nothing better for my purposes.

Go test paddle the boats that interest you, it's an eye opener ;)