#1. Tom's Wiggler

Tom L

This fly was conceived in early summer of this year. I was fishing with a friend on a very clear lake casting streamers on a sink tip. I did not get any hit all morning, but once I changed to a gurgler bug. I had a largermouth grabed it right away. I noticed that a gurgler bug on a sink tip would dart sideways (left-right) while retrieving. All my other streamers were swimming in a straight line. The foam lip on the gurgler bug was acting like a lip on a crank bait. So, that was how the idea of foam lip conceived.

This fly if retrieve with long strips, it will dart sideways; and if retrieve with short strips plus a little actions on the rod tip, it will wiggle.

post-1339-0-97399600-1351726995_thumb.jpgpost-1339-0-74251000-1351726996_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-68199000-1351726997_thumb.jpgpost-1339-0-03128400-1351726995_thumb.jpg

I'm also working on a articulated version of this fly. Coming soon.

Tom

Your flys are nothing short of professional. Neat design.

Do you give private lessons? I would love to learn the crayfish design you used before as well.

You will have plenty of time as the winter chill settles in.

Thanks guys for the complis..

Tom

Do you give private lessons? I would love to learn the crayfish design you used before as well.

If there are interests, we can tye at one of John L's fly tying night.

Nice ties, Tom. Is that reverse-tied craft fur for the collar?

Tim, the craft fur was tied normal with tip end pointed toward the tail of the fly and the but end toward the head. The tick was to leave about 0.5" or 0.75" of the craft fur but extended beyond the hook eye. Once scured the craft fur tightly, they would flare similar to deer hair; then used your fingers fold the but of the craft fur backward. Wraped the thread in front behind the hook eye to form the head and trimed the craft fur to shaped.

I found this technique by accident.

Just finished a articulated version of the Wiggler.

post-1339-0-55173300-1351822346_thumb.jpgpost-1339-0-91701400-1351822347_thumb.jpg

Another technique used on this fly (borrowed from steelhead tube fly technique) is adding hackle palmers right behind the marabou and craft fur collar to make the fly appeared more bulky without adding weight.