Fox River Float, May 7, 2016

Be there or be square. Our second Chicagoland fishing excursion will take place on May 7th on the Fox river. Hopefully, we'll get into some pre spawn bass. Mark your calendars accordingly. More details to follow. I see I made the mistake again on the topic date. Can someone help me edit this to reflect the correct date of May 7th?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks like the Fox has come close to cresting from this weekends rains near 3000 cfs. If the rain stays away this week I predict the river level should drop to a level good for kayaking and the weather this Saturday looks to be perfect. If ago, the plan will be to meet at 6:30 am at Old Mill Park in Geneva located off the north east side of the Fox River bridge on E. State Street. We'll plan to float to the Aurora area which will take us through some great smallmouth areas along the Fox. It will require a short portage around the Batavia dam and possibly the N. Aurora dam if we go that far south. I'll continue to monitor conditions and notify everyone of any change in plans. If anyone has questions please let me know.

Looks like were a go for tomorrow morning's float on the Fox. The river level has come down and will be near median level for the float. Not perfect but not bad either. The temperatures look to be in the 60s but there is a chance for rain so bring your rain gear. Based on Eric's last report you may want to bring some top water baits too. We will plan to meet at Old Mill Park parking lot at 630 am to set up our shuttle. The float will take 6-8 hours so bring plenty of water and a snack. Any questions let me know.

The river is in perfect shape for a float. There is stringy green algae washing downriver intermittently, but it shouldn't prove much of a bother unless you're throwing crankbaits.

I would throw a pearl or white swim jig or spinnerbait and concentrate on the edges of structure in current. This could be logs, outside turns, drain pipes, bridge pilings, stream barbs, edges of islands, etc. Current is key. Put your bait in the right area and a smallie should pounce on it. I wouldn't hesitate to toss a buzzbait along bridge pilings, rock walls, etc. Bring it downstream and clack the structure.

Plastics are fine but IMHO you need a search bait for this type of long float with many spots to hit. Have a plan if a storm and/or lightning rolls in. Geneva to Aurora is a hefty stretch. Get creative on your angles and what spots you hit and I'm sure you'll find some fish. A 15" seems to be an "average" big one lately. Lots of 13"-14" while throwing larger baits. If you nail an 18" or better on a Saturday while exploring, that's exceptional.

Wear sunscreen, keep skin covered as much as you can. Bring plenty to drink. Get out and stretch from time to time. Use a paddle leash to keep your paddle secure. Narrows and shallower areas will be swift.

And of course, wear a life jacket.

My son Brent and I are in Geneva now and there's a fighter jet trainer doing passes over the town. We've seen it do a barrel roll and some other stunts. It's very loud as it flys by. Neat. No bites yet.

Edit: Caught a 12" smallie on a Megabass Giant Dog X topwater.

Six members met up for the float this morning. But for a brief shower at the start the rain stayed away, the skies cleared and it turned out to be a beautiful day. The river was moving swiftly and posed difficulties for fishing and navigation. The bite was slow. We picked up 10 fish between us with Mark and Ken both picking up 16s. I caught a quilback and Jason caught a nice largemouth. The water temps are nearing that magical 60 degree mark and I think the smallies had other things on their minds. I'll post some pics from the float when I get more time. Unfortunately I did not see the fighter jets but maybe some of the other members did.

Great fun! First fishing Yak trip on the Fox (only Yak'd in small ponds before). Note to self: buy new Kayak.... Leaned a lot, lost the group, broke a rod, learned how to submarine a Kayak. Thanks to all for putting up with all my questions..