I need help on the k3

captain austin

Fellas,

I have my first trip of the season on the k3 next Friday. My buddies that I normally experiment with are either out of town or have to work so, I need help. I need two guys for next wendsday for a full day float on the river. I need one guy casting gear and one guy flyfishing. I will supply the gear and flies all you have to do is show up and fish. It's totally free. The first two guys to respond get the spots. Ready, set, go.

We launched around 7am in 32 deg temp and rising to 54 deg, sunny & partly cloudy, moderate wind and increasing, water temp in mid 40's with 14" of visibility. Austin did a marvelous job positioning the boat in the high water and windy conditions. It was a fun and educational day on the water with Capt Austin. I was in the bow casting flies all day and Ed was in the stern switching back and forth between a spinning rod and a fly rod. Ed got the hot hands and I had to play catch-up all day. We found fish in slack waters (nothing in the current) and deep. Flies out produced crank baits yesterday. Actually, it was one of Austin's hot fly - a yellow rabbit strip with some pearl crystal flash and a heavy eye on a 90 deg jig hook - out produced everything else. I switched up to many different types and colors, but nothing seemed to work, except Austin's hot fly. We totaled 14 smallies.

Thanks Austin for a wonderful day. I learned something new everytime spending time on the water with him and he could cook mean sausages. Ed, it was fun to finally have a chance fishing with you. Thanks again for a memorable outing, fellas.

Ed, I don't have your pics with the bigger fish. If you do, please load them up.

post-1339-0-17145900-1397744689_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-80231800-1397744689_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-54135200-1397744735_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-18858800-1397744757_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-53061100-1397744771_thumb.jpg

Tom has pretty well described the day with Austin and there isn't much to add except the very welcome hot lunch that Austin served up for us.That was my first experience fishing from a drift boat and it really is the way to go.Thank you Austin for a super experience and thank you Tom for your excellent company.

I really didn't have a hot hand, what I really had was Austin's hot fly.

Thank you both. You guys deserve the credit, you both handled yourselves great in the wind. The fly isn't really mine. I was given some flies from Eli of Great Lakes Fly to try down here it is called the wombat you can see on his site. I ran out of the ones Eli sent and tied up my own coping his.

I'm jealous of the lunch! Love the brilliant red eyes of the lower pic. Fishing from a drift boat is great, nothing beats it in my opinion. Nice and quiet, cover tons of water. Those are healthy looking fish. Sounds like a good trip, and great way to start the season. Ryan

I'm jealous of the lunch! Love the brilliant red eyes of the lower pic. Fishing from a drift boat is great, nothing beats it in my opinion. Nice and quiet, cover tons of water. Those are healthy looking fish. Sounds like a good trip, and great way to start the season. Ryan