What's a Good Baitcaster?

Mike G

It used to be that the Curado was sort of a benchmark though now I hear the quality of that model ain't what it used to be. That brings up my question. What do your recommend as a good general purpose reel, 10-20# line, 1/4 to 3/4 oz lures? I would like to hear what you guys are using.

I think the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier is the best casting reel for the money. It's typically $99 but you can find it on sale for less during a lot of their seasonal sales events. The only drawback to the reel is if you're super weight conscious it's on the heavy side. So if you've spent a lot on a lightweight rod it's silly to pair it with that reel. But for an all-purpose casting reel that can take a beating (believe me, I know how to abuse them), it's pretty good!

I have that and two Concept A casting reels from 13 Fishing. They are a bit more expensive but so far have held up nicely and feel very precise.

I've heard really good things about the Lew's Speed Spools but have never tried them.

There are a ridiculously wide array of new manufacturers that have come on the scene and what I used to consider the "standard" for rods, reels, and lines have a lot more competition.

The new Curado's; 200 and 70 are supposed to be pretty decent from what I've read. People are liking the Citica also. Beyond Shimano are both Lews and13 Fishing as Eric mentioned along with Diawa Tatula. Those seem to be the reoccuring theme.

3 shimano citica's. Oldest -20 yrs rebuilt by corens once. Newest 5 yrs. Great reels.

4 Abu Garcia 5000's. oldest 35 yrs rebuilt twice. Newest 10 yrs. Great for throwing 1 ounce spoons

or trolling with 5 ounce weight on the Illinois river.

Most $100.00 reels will last 5 years or better depending on use.

Really interested in New Lews speed reel and the tatula.

3 shimano citica's. Oldest -20 yrs rebuilt by corens once. Newest 5 yrs. Great reels.

4 Abu Garcia 5000's. oldest 35 yrs rebuilt twice. Newest 10 yrs. Great for throwing 1 ounce spoons

or trolling with 5 ounce weight on the Illinois river.

Most $100.00 reels will last 5 years or better depending on use.

Really interested in New Lews speed reel and the tatula.

Tat 100 is 25% off at Gander... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. The PQ looks like a good proven workhorse at a reasonable price. I am sure Eric gives reels a workout. I am hoping to see a sale soon. But I won't hold my breath.

• 2 months later...

Rest of the Story...

Eventually a sale on the PQ came along. But by then I had bought a Lew's LFS from Cabela's. Decisive factors were good reviews and a Cabela's gift certificate and a sale on the Lew's. I got the mid speed - 6/1 or so. It is the smallest thing I have seen that still spools 120 of 12#. It takes some getting used to. I like the magnetic braking in lieu ( :) for Rob) of the centrifugal studs typical of Shimano and others. It makes dialing in much easier when you do not have to open up the reel to reset the studs. So far so goon. I wish I Could use ti more. :(