Smallmouth as the Scourge of the Deschutes

Mike G

Our prize fish is seen in a different light on the west coast. It is at best a nuisance, at worst a serious threat to the Steelhead fishery. This is reminiscent of the effect Smallmouths had on the Landlocked Salmon lakes o in Maine in the 40s and 50s. The Maniacs got over it by touting the great bass fishing they had to offer.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/bill_monroe/index.ssf/2016/08/deschutes_steelhead_give_way_t.html#incart_river_index

On the brighter side, here is a tip. Take a fishing trip to the Deschutes. You will catch a lot of Bass and may even get a Steelhead.

I don't think I have an opinion either way but I have fished the deschutes a couple dozen times close to confluence with Columbia river as well as recent years in Redmond and Crooked Ranch areas. I can tell you further upstream the water can be pretty darn cold from mountain tributaries. It does warm up in areas for a couple months in summer its always in the sun and you could call it high desert. All I have ran into are salmonide species but just like the concern about pike in Alaska waters where they aren't native or bass elsewhere I guess even gamefish we like can be considered nuisance in areas.