Damsel in distress (I'm hoping anyway)

Rob G

It's like 15 degrees outside so humor me here. Haven't tied any of these up in quite a while but grew tired of watching the greenies trying to bust these Damselflies on local ponds. I will even occasionally see the smallies chasing these things in areas of slack water. Hopefully the foam, polypro wing and the black hackle underneath will be enough to keep that Mustad 3366 size 6 above water after a hit or two.

Anyone else ever put a Damsel in distress or have tips on how you like to tie yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice fly. You could add powder floatant after each fish or two. Not only does it keep it on the surface, it makes the fly hydrophobic, which is more realistic since adult insects' bodies repel water. You should get more aggressive takes in the first few casts after applying floatant.

post-1902-0-73805700-1456517360_thumb.jpgpost-1902-0-13481700-1456517370_thumb.jpg (these are mayflies, but you can see the dimpled water)

The style of wing on damselfly patterns you use here has caused me issues in the past because of wind resistance. It is like a propeller in the air, twisting my tippet beyond repair and not easily turning over. If I don't have another fly option, I step up the tippet to a higher diameter.

Tim,

I started using a really really tiny swivel to attach my tippet to, which I swore I never would, which helped to some degree. Also, I've not as much twisting with these poly pro wings vs. the cellophane like wings that I cut out in the past. One problem is that on the ponds anyway, the bluegill won't leave the thing alone and will pull it under at times by the tail.

Tim,

I started using a really really tiny swivel to attach my tippet to, which I swore I never would, which helped to some degree. Also, I've not as much twisting with these poly pro wings vs. the cellophane like wings that I cut out in the past. One problem is that on the ponds anyway, the bluegill won't leave the thing alone and will pull it under at times by the tail.

Nice. Glad you've tinkered with it. Maybe post up the tail on the next few to avoid this?

• 6 months later...