Safe Roads Amendment

As I understand it, if passed,all money from specialty plates will go exclusively to roads. So if you want a wildlife plate, a prevent violence plate, a fight cancer plate, etc., no money would go to the causes you think you are supporting by paying a premium for one of those plates.

As I understand it, if passed,all money from specialty plates will go exclusively to roads. So if you want a wildlife plate, a prevent violence plate, a fight cancer plate, etc., no money would go to the causes you think you are supporting by paying a premium for one of those plates.

Not exactly. At least according to this article...The argument goes that money collected from the state tax on motor fuel.....should only be used for things like roads and bridges and highway law enforcement. The lockbox would also apply to tolls, license plate registration and so forth.

So there is a 2 dollar fee on license plate renewals. That money, 19 million, goes to fund the DNR. It's iffy whether the DNR could be included under "transportation". Because this is a constitutional amendment, it won't be easy to correct.

This is a big chunk of their budget.

The response from the DNR at the end is even more puzzling.

"When election results are known for the Lockbox Amendment, staff will do any evaluations necessary to determine its potential impacts on IDNR’s FY17 budget."

Got to love Illinois.

I heard about it here on Charlie Potter's radio show on WGN.

http://wgnradio.com/2016/10/23/the-great-outdoors-with-charlie-potter-102316/

Here is also an interesting article:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20161022/ISSUE05/310229994/why-you-should-vote-no-on-the-safe-roads-amendment

The Chicago trib is also giving this one a "nope".

I am not suggesting you vote one way or another, but this one is worth looking into beyond the commercials.

Mark, here is what I am trying to figure out. Let's say you want a Ducks Unlimited license plate. On the Secretary of State website it says the added cost for this plate is $40. It states that some of this money will go to Ducks Unlimited for their various projects. The proposed amendment seems to say that all fees collected will go only to the highway fund. Same goes for all the other specialty plates. For example if you get a plate promoting your favorite college, the website says that the extra fees will help provide scholarships to needy students. Will these organizations get to keep their cut of the fees? Wetland development and scholarships have nothing to do with highways.

Mark, here is what I am trying to figure out. Let's say you want a Ducks Unlimited license plate. On the Secretary of State website it says the added cost for this plate is $40. It states that some of this money will go to Ducks Unlimited for their various projects. The proposed amendment seems to say that all fees collected will go only to the highway fund. Same goes for all the other specialty plates. For example if you get a plate promoting your favorite college, the website says that the extra fees will help provide scholarships to needy students. Will these organizations get to keep their cut of the fees? Wetland development and scholarships have nothing to do with highways.

Doesn't sound like it. If you listen to Charlie Potter, that was his point. why would anyone spend that. I would need to listen to it again, it was on when I was just waking up.

From Debbie Bruce former head of fisheries for il

You all have seen and written articles about not voting for The Safe Roads - Lockbox - Amendment, but what most don't know is that if it passes, it will undo what so many worked so hard for: The Sustainability Bill for Illinois Department of Natural Resource! This will be devastating to IDNR and particularly Division of Fisheries. This is a potential loss of $30 to $40 Million Dollars. Most also do not know that because of the lack of a State Fiscal Year 2016 Budget and only a stopgap budget for the rest of calendar year 2016, IDNR lost all the Federal Fiscal Year 2016 Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Funds (Pittman Robertson/Dingle Johnson Federal Funding) and is in danger of losing Federal Fiscal Year 2017 funding!
It is troubling that all IDNR Spokespersons can say, is that they will review impacts after the Amendment passes.
Lawmakers have indicated to some, that they will pass legislation for implementation of the Lockbox Amendment to clarify what counts as transportation revenue and spending. Some backers have said that this will apply to a narrow set of revenue sources, and not to specialty license plates. There is no guarantee on that and the legislation could be legally challenged and struck down by the Illinois Supreme Court.
See the attached Center for Municipal Finance Commentary.
Please share the Vote No information.
Thank You,
Debbie Bruce
Retired Fish Chief, Illinois Department of Natural Resources

If the State is hard up for roadway $ what was Plainfield doing recently resurfacing sections of 2 roads,River & Frasier both of which were in good shape with not so much as a single pothole?Must've been a spend it or lose situation.Whatever it was it was a waste of taxpayer $ that could've been used by the IDNR

From Debbie Bruce former head of fisheries for il

It is troubling that all IDNR Spokespersons can say, is that they will review impacts after the Amendment passes.

Exactly what smelled funky to me.

I voted on Friday and gave this one a big ol' cup of NOPE!

My labor union is telling us to vote yes (for jobs).

Enviros are telling us to vote no (for natural resources).

A split among liberal factions.

I don't trust Illinois politicians not to get their grimy hands on the money for whatever they see fit. Leaving both of the above left out.

A swift NO from me.

Over 80% in Kankakee County voted yes.

They had NO idea that our state park could be gated and left to rot with no funding to staff it.

You mean "more gated". Isn't the campground on 102 closed already closed, the one west of Warner Bridge? All due to the budget impass?

Only can wait and see what happens now.