The spoonplug revisited

So I broke out the spoonplugs again this year and have been doing pretty well with them. A spoonplug is a metal crankbait designed by Buck Perry and sold by Buck's Baits Inc. Ph.828-322-2157. I've had some of these lures around since the mid 70s. Mostly I've been using the two smallest sizes the 500 series which runs 2-4 feet and the 400 series which runs 4-6 feet. The 250 series which runs 6-9 I've been taking along but haven't found that deep of water or strong enough current to use it. Don't let the small size of these lures fool you they do a good job.

So here's what's so great about the spoonplug first since it's made of metal it sinks quickly and it runs on the bottom for the whole length of the cast. You don't waste half of your cast length cranking it down. Nice for fishing narrow creeks. Also it doesn't wear you out, it has a small bill so it's easy to retrieve and you can retrieve it much faster than conventional crankbaits. This extra speed can get you a good reaction bite when conditions are tough. The small bill also allows this lure to" walk" along the bottom over rocks and wood where a regular crank would snag up. These lures run at very consistent depths so you can map a pool. Put on the smallest size fan cast it. Can't feel the bottom in an area put on the next bigger size and work your way up until you have a good feel of what's going on on the bottom. Two other added bonuses fish don't seem to throw these lures as easily on the jump maybe because they lack the bulk of most other crankbaits and because of their flat shape they nest together and don't take up much space. I've also been doing real well fishing the smaller sizes of spoonplugs in small ponds that don't have too many weeds.

Why haven't you heard of spoonplugs? They don't advertise they don't sponsor anyone. Buck Perry was always more interested in educating fishermen as opposed to selling them something. The Spoonplugging method was developed primarily to map out lakes using spoonplugs while motor trolling. However Mr Perry regularly stated that the spoonplugs performance on the cast was it's greatest feature. Simple lure that works well. Check it out.

Phil F

A lot of people associate Spoonplugging with trolling because they never read the book-Spoonplugging- and rely on second hand information. Spoonplugging is a comprehensive system that includes motor trolling as one presentation method. I reread the book once or twice a year. I am one who does a lot of Spoonplugging without using Spoonplugs though I appreciate this reminder that it is a great lure.

PS I have a clipping from a 1959 edition of the Chicago Tribune about using the Spoonplug in Chicago area waters. 50 years and still going.

when i got married in 1978 my wife and i each gota buck perry rod, no bo line and a penn reel.still have all 3of 4, wife, rods,and reels. her reel had the red handle and caught more fish. rich

Pretty cool to have some other spoonpluggers out there. Sounds like you guys have had a lot more experience using spoonplugs. I have fished crankbaits a lot and really feel silly that I didn't use these lures sooner. I think that I didn't give the smaller sizes of spoonplugs a fair try. In shallow water these small lures perform great. Looking forward to working them in cold water and fishing against the current checking out seams on eddies. This last application fishing seams should be taylor made for spoonplugs as they hold to a specific depth so well. Thanks for the reply's any other info would be great.

Phil F

I bought these and 2 more larger ones about 20 years ago to use trolling and casting for pike in Canada. I keep 'em with my other pike baits. Never thought about using 'em for smallies. I pinched the barbs on the rear treble and removed the front treble to make it easier to release a fish. Maybe I'll give these a try on my next visit to the river.

Ron

The web site for ordering spoonplugs is www.buckperry.com just look under store to order. The small ones aren't too expensive.

Bill

Thanks for posting a picture. Looks like you have a couple of the bigger sizes. Those are what I would throw and snag up in shallow water so I never gave them a fair try. I found out that they should run free and tick the bottom occasionally. The smallest size is so little that I never thought it would work that good. The first two sizes are all I've hardly used lately.

Today did a little muskie fishing working the river below a lake stocked with muskies.Results; one smallmouth on a spoonplug, two others on a muskie spinnerbait and the biggest smallie on a tube, the only muskie caught was on a tube after I had given up on muskies. So go figure. It was nice to finally hook and land a muskie.The last four cut/broke the line. I'm using a wire leader now. Heading up to Wisconsin next week so I'll definitely throw some of the bigger spoonplugs for muskies.

Phil F

So the website is weird after you click on spoonplugs you have to click on the type of lure pearl, polished, florescent etc. They have a gazillion colors just get some dark ones and some light ones. Hope this helps,

Phil

one thing that made me chuckle was someone once described a spoonplug as a pregnant shoehorn. i have been using a bo jo le spoon this year. have caught fish riggin it behind a small swivel and add some bull shot before the swivel. only place to get them is on secretweaponlures.com

Wow I might have to get some of those....where can you get them that?

OK Ron,

If you have some $$ to drop, buy the book before you buy the lures.

50 years ago I bought a Spoonplug because It was the latest greatest magic lure; and I immediately had zero success using it. That was because I did not know how to use it. On the other hand, the book will tell you how to use the lures you already have and how to use Spoonplugs if you buy some.

Hope this helps.

Hey Phil, that's great that you caught a muskie. How big was it? I can just imagine, you gave up on muskies and started fishing smallies with tubes when you hooked into your muskie. I know that of all the obnoxious baits I've thrown below the spillway at Homer Lake, the only northern pike I caught was on a plastic worm, moving slowly across the bottom. Go figure. Have a good trip to Wisconsin. We'll try to stay on top of the smallies and give you a report on the east-central scene when you return.

Jeff

It was a nice fish just over 36" but definitely a mercy fish. I was pretty much ready to go and David said to try this eddie in front of a bridge. Missed a fish there probably a bass and snagged my lure I was going to break it off but figured might as well go get it. Walking around the bridge pillar I made one last cast parallel to the pillar into a small eddie. The muskie hit I saw it was a big fish and immediately loosened the drag instead of panicking like I usually do. He made several good runs but I was able to beach him fairly easily on a sand bar. I've got a picture on my phone. It's not too good but I should probably start taking more pictures. The smallmouths were pretty nice so I could see going back and smallmouth fishing and take a break to try for muskies. Once the leaves fall off and the water clears we should really give the muskies a shot on top water.

Phil F

Phil,

any issues with the spoonplugs running up and broaching the surface. It happened a handful of times on me today. Couple times it was fouled with bits of leaves, couple other times I think I was retrieving too fast, combined with the force of the current.

Norm

If it's fouled with weeds it'll come to the surface and if it bounces off something under water with the shallow runners it'll also come to the surface. I've also have had problems with the hooks fouling each other or the line. That being said I just don't snag / loose as many of these lures as I would using a conventional crankbait. If it comes to the surface or stops ticking bottom just let it sink. A hard jerk will also clear weeds sometimes. There is a learning curve and I'm still figuring it out but they work pretty good.

Wish I could have gotten out today glad you diid well.

Phil