Dodge's Diesel Pop

I have not sat down to tie since my eye surgery 5 years ago.

I have been seeing a lot of flies using foam as the main ingredient.

In past years I have played around with ear plugs trying to come up with a good recipe, only to

have failed because i didn't much care for whatever the heck it was I came up with.

I examined the way a farm hopper was tied that was given to me to try, and then it hit me.

I think it's a winner. It's a simple tie and I'm sure there's much I can do to improve on it.

This is what I came up with.....

OC made nice reels although heavy by modern standards. Perfect to balance a fiberglass rod & the outfit will be durable. Definitely try fishing your Gramps reel I think you will like it.

I have paired with a 5wt. Cabela's 3 piece fiberglass rod I won at the Blowout this year.

I do plan to use it.

I like the froggy look of the popper. It might also pass as a dragon fly. I might have to ask your permission to imitate it.

I have paired with a 5wt. Cabela's 3 piece fiberglass rod I won at the Blowout this year.

I do plan to use it.

Was it a CGR? those are fun rods, they should match up perfectly.

It is a CGR and funny you should mention that.

I seem to have a problem. When I first tried to put the rod together each section was very tight and

would not butt up to each other. I then lubed with petroleum gel and the first section slid on and off smoothly.

The top section not so much. The top section is about 1/4" from butting up and now will not pull off.

I have tried everything and can not budge it. Any ideas of what I should do?

I've thought of using it carefully for a bit to see if it would work itself loose but don't want to break it.

The fact being that I won it at the Blowout I am unsure if I can exchange it at Cabela's for another?

I have yet to use it and am leery of doing so.

The spigot ferrules on CGR's are not supposed to butt up to each other, they leave space. It looks a little funky but they function perfectly fine and supposedly it helps them as they wear over time.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-tips-technique/dealing-with-stuck-ferrules-the-right-way/

well, I suggest keeping the clean and clear of grit. when you knurl the female on you nose or use oil, these will attract dirt, dust and grit. I will use the wax from a dripless candle and wipe off with a clean cloth. generally a stuck ferrule is a dirty ferrule. now iam am experienced with bamboo and nickle/silver ferrules but I assume those spigots are the same. if you have a stuck ferrule sometimes they will loosen up in a change or emp or humidity. sometimes if you can take the home and stand them in the corner for a day they will separate easier. to separate the ferrule should be tugged straight apart. often when one guy strains to separate the parts they put a slight flex in the rod which makes the ferrule tighter so the two person tug is a good method. don't pull off the snake guides or twist the rod. best tip: keep the ferrule clean. if the rod is so tight the ferrule will not seat, let's say 1/4", you risk damaging the rod. timothy