Neko Rig

Mark K

Shoot pretty sure I have an article by Rich Zaleski in the old Fishing Facts magazine describing this and several similar rigs . He simply called them nail rigs .

I found the article , no date with it. Alas I'm not that organized . The only differences were the hook used was a bit smaller and it was placed a bit higher on the worm. Otherwise same basic concept . He looked upon it as a more finesse type deal when you had the location down but the fish were not real cooperative .

I can see it working either way as a finesse or search type presentation .

Doh, sometimes I wonder if lack of sleep is getting to me. Then something like this happens and I realize it is .

I do something fairly similar to this to deal with algae on the river bottom .

I take a Fat Ika and run the hook of a 4/0 or 5/0 ewg thru the skinnier end with the tentacles and t-rig the hook point in the fatter end . If needed I use insert weights shoved all the way in on the bottom by the hook point . It gathers very little algae and with the eye of the hook pulled all the way into the Ika and with the tentacles it picks up very little algae . The blunter bottom and the sides of the Ika tend to shed the algae . Many times a sharp snap is all that is needed to clear the algae . If the algae is deep enough or it's flowing and it attaches to the line then it's reel in and pick the slime .

I also meant to mention that Rich had included three diagrams. The other two showed the hook at the top of the worm and rigged wacky in the middle with the nail in the bottom of the worm.

after I get back from the Dermatologist , I taking a nap . I have to get some mental clarity back .

I tried it once after reading about it last year. Didn't catch anything but it was more of a "do I want to fish this way" try. Also read that guys used sheet metal screws on the bottom of worm/plastic instead of nails or the lead nail weights. I did see a pretty fancy looking accoutrement/dohicky online to tie the hook into the plastic. Another twist on "finesse".

I tried it once after reading about it last year. Didn't catch anything but it was more of a "do I want to fish this way" try. Also read that guys used sheet metal screws on the bottom of worm/plastic instead of nails or the lead nail weights. I did see a pretty fancy looking accoutrement/dohicky online to tie the hook into the plastic. Another twist on "finesse".

Where did you fish it?