Dupage River canoe trip advice needed

Dan Burke

Planning on doing a canoe outing this coming weekend with my wife. The plan is to put in at Hamel wood and take out at Minooka road.

How is the river flow? Gauges show higher than normal. Is it still easy paddling?

How is the smallmouth fishing in this stretch? I have not fished this area before.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Dan

Level and flow look great for paddling. You have a bit more gradient and faster water in a few areas. Later in the day (2PM on) should offer better odds of hooking up as the fish will be a bit more active after the sun has been on the water. There will be eel grass, etc. washing downstream. Bring your patience. It should be pretty and a nice float.

This is helpful too: http://www.openlands.org/dupage-river-water-trails

Sunset is shortly before 6 PM so plan accordingly.

I've floated most of that stretch many times but I have no idea where Minooka Rd is. I can't even find it on a map. Fishing can be very good, there is more gradient in that section than anywhere else on the river so it is a fun and pretty float. Not as much grass on the bottom, but lots can be floating. Floating leaves could be an issue as well.

I've floated most of that stretch many times but I have no idea where Minooka Rd is. I can't even find it on a map. Fishing can be very good, there is more gradient in that section than anywhere else on the river so it is a fun and pretty float. Not as much grass on the bottom, but lots can be floating. Floating leaves could be an issue as well.

See Eric's link; same as McEvilly Rd.

• 2 weeks later...