Best fly line for begginers

mannym

Can you recommend a floating weight forward fly line for a beginner? I am hoping to help my wife improve her casting with a 5 and 8 wt. I bought her her own two rods and want to make sure I get a line that helps her get distance on her cast. The 5wt will be for smallmouth and the 8wt for salmon, browns,etc. Both rods are Three Fork entry level rods and reels, btw.

Thanks

To improve casting, the line is more importance than the rod. If you can afford the $70+ lines, any brand would do. Up size the line 1+. A 9wt steelhead/salmon taper and a 6wt bass taper. Lots of time you can find them on sales.

I agree with Tom, if you can afford it. I will say though, that 5 wt Three Forks rod is a moderate action, its a pretty soft rod. I would be careful up sizing that line, especially since some of the Bass Tapers are already a half size heavy, and loaded towards the tip. Just my experience from owning that same rod. Ryan

It's remarkable how many flylines are now being marketed: muskylinessalmonlinestroutlinesbonefishlines etc. whose primary purpose I think is to catch ffer $ not only for the lines but also for all the xtra spools needed to hold them. i use only 2 types of wf lines. For hardmouth species like bass that are basically incapable of breakijng the thicker stronger 0x-2x leaders used for them I've used Airflo lines because they don't stretch hopefully resulting in a better hookset in those mouths to which fish are almost always lost because the hook lets go rather than from a breakoff..For more powerful fish like steelhead,salmon & saltwater species capable of breaking even those heavier leaders and for trout where weaker 4x-6x leaders are typical a flyline that does stretch is best to reduce breakoffs.For them I like Triangle Taper flylines designed many years ago by the great Lee Wulff. It casts & mends as well as and I think better than any line out there.I think I'll start using it exclusively as over time it doesn't seem my catch rate for bass has been any better using Airflo although they are more durable. The Airflo I've used extensively for the last several years for smb looks almost like it just came out of the box.

Does anyone use double taper lines? If so, how do they compare with WF in terms of casting?

I couldn't stop laughing when I read Double Taper. The phrase "Double Taper" reminds me of a George Brett you tube video talking about crapping his pants.

He said something like---- "The most perfect double tapered $hit of my life. Who are the pitchers in this game?" Anyone remember this?

Way over my head on that joke, Manny. I'm just a simple fishman. :D

There were only "Double Taper" fly lines available 30+ years ago. Now a day, it's getting harder and hard to find one. This taper excel in mending and roll casting. Dry fly disciples swear by this line. The steelhead/salmon taper is very similar to the double taper in that it has a very long (60') head. The head consists of a short front taper (2-3'), a long level body (45'), and a rear taper (10-12'). When steelheading, I only cast 20-40' mostof the time. So the steelhead taper line that I used actaully acts as a double taper line.

Guest rich mc

my 2 cents , triangle taper is a good line and makes great roll casts = good for beginners . I also like the rio outbound short for the 8wt. I don't fish for steelheads or salmon but think a sinking or sink tip line may be needed if so casting one of those is not for beginners. rich mc

DT lines are still available - they work better on slow to medium action rods & smaller flies. Popular with glass & bamboo rods, the triangle tapers are similar & easy to cast but don't have the kick to torn over big poppers or weighted flies. I have DT in 3,4 &5wt for use on glass rods. Usually cheaper to boot.

DT lines are still available - they work better on slow to medium action rods & smaller flies. Popular with glass & bamboo rods, the triangle tapers are similar & easy to cast but don't have the kick to torn over big poppers or weighted flies. I have DT in 3,4 &5wt for use on glass rods. Usually cheaper to boot.

I disagree. Might be just a difference in our casting styles. John like to hold a longer line in the air.I've found that with the proper graphite rods tts cast heavier flies & poppers very well. Tts are also considered the best lines for roll casting and mending. The front taper of the line can be shortened a little in order to cast the big stuff even better.

The OP is talking about having low end outfits. I don't mean that as a knock. I have a Cabela's 3 weight Three Forks rod that I love. But it's possible that a less expensive, but still capable, line would be fine. Look into the Hook and Hackle lines on their web site. Quite reasonably priced, and they have many fans. Also- Cabela's Presige+ lines are upsized 1/2 line weight, and sell for a penny under $40. Haven't used one, though. Not everyone can handle buying two $70+ fly lines. Just a thought.

Chuck

I used to have a Cabela's Pretige line before, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The line coating is not very lick which make shooting line very difficult. I had to clean and coat the line after every outing, but that lasted only a few casts. It will frustrate you for sure, especially a newbie.

This is a good line and it is on sales for $55 and you may qualify for add'l 20% off.

http://www.orvis.com/p/hydros-bass/warmwater-line/3h46

Apply for an Orvis Visa card. Use it for all your purchases and shipping will be free.

btw, I have no affiliation with Orvis. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I suggest Orvis "All Rounder" and with the $25 coupons starting tomorrow through the 9th I believe, your $79 fly line is now $54, hard to beat. I too would line up 1 weight.

Jim gets it!

Just for the record, no one mentioned SA Air Cell the old workhouse that is still out there.

saaircel.JPG

http://www.buyfishingstuff.com/flyline.shtml

Level, DT, and WF are still there reasonably priced making them a good choice for entry level. And who can argue with an outfit with a no nonsense name like Buy Fishing Stuff.

Hi Manny

I think you should bring the wife to the Early Show Sunday, November 9. Casting lessons. Several pros there to help with line.

as well as all the knowledge you can absorb in one day. Plus lots of gear. Fly tiers tying all day.

Just for the record, no one mentioned SA Air Cell the old workhouse that is still out there.

saaircel.JPG

http://www.buyfishingstuff.com/flyline.shtml

Level, DT, and WF are still there reasonably priced making them a good choice for entry level. And who can argue with an outfit with a no nonsense name like Buy Fishing Stuff.

Time was most ffers used either SA or Cortland flylines. But with all the other cos. producing them Cortland has really dropped off the table even though it continues to mfr a wide range of innovative lines in various price ranges. I believe an absence of a marketing strategy in the face of increasing competition is the reason.

Hi Manny

I think you should bring the wife to the Early Show Sunday, November 9. Casting lessons. Several pros there to help with line.

as well as all the knowledge you can absorb in one day. Plus lots of gear. Fly tiers tying all day.

Hoping we can make this show. Thanks!