Fox River Float, May 6th

Mark Lutz has mapped out a nice stretch of the Fox River for this float that will take us through some prime smallmouth water. More details to follow but area will be between Aurora and Oswego. Will plan to meet for breakfast near put in and then set up shuttle.

• 2 weeks later...

So as not to conflict with the rescheduled Kish float we will push this float trip back one week to May 13th. We should still be outside the spawning season, especially on the Fox. After this float we will concentrate our efforts on Lake fishing until mid June to give River smallmouth a rest during spawning season. Hopefully we can schedule a lake outing in late May early June.

I'll check the water levels next Thursday the 11th to make a determination. So far, I'm not overly optimistic it will be down and cleared up enough.

Stay tuned

The Fox is 4200 cfs this morning. While coming down, I feel it will not be down enough for a safe yak trip for this Saturday.

Sadly I'm pulling the plug for the float. I'll look at the calendar again and come up with plan C

Have an enjoyable weekend

I think I've done 4 floats in last 2 weeks in northern Kane. It's a chore fishing with the current and working shoreline structure. Today I was out 6 hours on a nice Saturday and I'm still yet to see anyone in a paddle vessel besides me. I did pull a paddle out of some trees in South elgin last week and up near dundee today I spotted a yellow pdf snagged in trees in the water so yes caution is in order.