RECORD BREAKING BASS?

Steve S.

After 77 years, 7 months and 6 days, it may finally be here -- a new world record largemouth bass, the most sought after sportfish in the world. Bassmaster.com will have live video from the International Game Fish Association headquarters in Dania Beach, Fla., as the decision is announced this Friday, Jan. 8 at 1:30 pm. Stay tuned for bass fishing history.

This will be considered a tie with Perry's fish.

Heard years ago that the next record largemouth will be worth at least $1 Million to the angler.

Not so sure that is still the case.

People will forget about it 10 minutes after the press conference.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100110/SPORTS05/1100320/1002/SPORTS/It+s+official++catch+ties+a+world+record

Read the whole story. It is interesting where and how it was caught. And it was a tie leaving the old record in tact. No millions for this one I suspect though it gives a big boost to using bluegills for bait. Next year's contest pattern?

Its too bad; officially its a tie but technically a new world record by nearly 2 ounces. If Perry's bass had been weighed on today's scales and under today's scrutiny, would it still be the record?

Exciting to know these extraordinary bass do exist. Let's get a bigger one in the States.

Side note:

The Menominee River monster smallmouth still doesn't show up on the WI State record fish or Bassmaster's Top 25 list. When will this be made an official record?

No millions for this one I suspect though it gives a big boost to using bluegills for bait. Next year's contest pattern?

I've had smallmouth spit up small bluegills in the Fall, leading me to test the Enrico Puglisi bluegill pattern without any takes yet. It's been kind of difficult for me to fish it effectively in moving water, but I'll be trying it in Florida this March!

Hey, that's our inferior green fish you're slandering. I don't care how much of a die hard smallie fisherman you are, tell me you wouldn't want to catch a twenty some pound largemouth if you got the chance (OK, other than Jonn). Why is it the Japanese always seem to out do us in everything? And why do we always get the crap invasive species like bighead carp and snakeheads while they get bass? Doesn't any other country have something cool to ruin our fisheries with?

I've had smallmouth spit up small bluegills in the Fall, leading me to test the Enrico Puglisi bluegill pattern without any takes yet. It's been kind of difficult for me to fish it effectively in moving water, but I'll be trying it in Florida this March!

A number of years ago I saw a kid 12 or 13 yrs old fishing a live baby bluegill on the Dupqage.He said he catches big smb with them & no sooner did he say this than he promptly landed one about 18-19"!The Puglisi pattern has been in my flybox ever since with reasonably good success for stream smb.What problem are you having fishing it in moving water Steve?

A number of years ago I saw a kid 12 or 13 yrs old fishing a live baby bluegill on the Dupqage.He said he catches big smb with them & no sooner did he say this than he promptly landed one about 18-19"!The Puglisi pattern has been in my flybox ever since with reasonably good success for stream smb.What problem are you having fishing it in moving water Steve?

From what I recall, it seemed to roll on me in the current. I also have the shad pattern and larger perch pattern.

From what I recall, it seemed to roll on me in the current. I also have the shad pattern and larger perch pattern.

That hasn't happened for me especially since it's tied on a heavy hook.I don't fish it in fast water since bluegills aren't usually found there.To get it down faster I sometimes pinch on a splitshot at the hookeye.

That hasn't happened for me especially since it's tied on a heavy hook.I don't fish it in fast water since bluegills aren't usually found there.To get it down faster I sometimes pinch on a splitshot at the hookeye.

The mid-river grass beds I fish form slack pockets and the gills are relating to these, just adjacent to the faster current.

The mid-river grass beds I fish form slack pockets and the gills are relating to these, just adjacent to the faster current.

To avoid the nuisance of hanging up I only use bassbugs around the grassbeds.Maybe that's why I seldom catch anything around the damn things.

Could you use something on the order of a dahlberg diver around those grassbeds?

Me, I'd just use a spinnerbait or t-rigged plastic.

That's my #1 fly for smallies, though the Murdich Minnow worked fairly well in the grass this past season and is easier to cast. Can't beat the action of the rabbit strip though.

I think the main problem fishing flies around the grass beds is that they're too subtle to alert bass to their presence as they lay beneath them whereas a lure like a spinnerbait or a big plastic lure with a buried hook making it very weedless will better alert the bass.Same thing with flies vs lures in muddy water.

I think the main problem fishing flies around the grass beds is that they're too subtle to alert bass to their presence as they lay beneath them whereas a lure like a spinnerbait or a big plastic lure with a buried hook making it very weedless will better alert the bass.Same thing with flies vs lures in muddy water.

I would agree with your position on fishing them in muddy water, but definitely not with the grass areas I've been fishing.

Wait till you see the fly I'm bringing to the Blow Out. You'll love it around grass beds. It's done well for me in the grass already this year. I'm going to tye it the Thursday before the Blow Out at One More Cast. Come and tie yourself one for free! See you there.

Craig,

Another fly to be featured in national magazines?

Ron,

I grew up in Cook County, fished a lot of green fish back in the day. Greenies, flies and Sox slander all in fun.

Anything I say about the current state of the Bears though......

Craig,

Another fly to be featured in national magazines?

Ron,

I grew up in Cook County, fished a lot of green fish back in the day. Greenies, flies and Sox slander all in fun.

Anything I say about the current state of the Bears though......

Not just another fly. Another centerfold! Craig gets a staple in his hook eye.

I believe it will be in the spring issue of Fly Tyer Magazine. They give you a rough idea of when then you don't hear anything for months. It'll be in Rainy's catalogue for next year.