Fishing The Southern Kishwaukee

CDMAGERS

Hey Guys,

New to the boards here, and an avid smallie and conservation guy all the way !

I do High School Photography throughout the Northern Illinois region, and today paid

a visit to Genoa Kingston High School. I decided to take a little side adventure over to

the river near the Knute Olsen Forest Preserve. I was wondering if anyone has fished

near this area of the Kish, and had any luck ? Never fished the Kishwaukee, so looking

forward to doing some serious exploring with my 15 year old, who has become quite the

fisherman himself. Thanks !! :D

CDMAGERS

Kirkland is as far upstream as I've gone. For some reason, the Kirkland area was lousy last year. Previous years it's been pretty good.

First of all, Welcome!

I've been dabbling with the south the last couple of years. From what I have noticed the south branch seems to fish

best in late Spring. Once the Summer levels take over the fishing can be tough.

We're (ISA) doing a thing this Saturday in Rockford if you can find the time. > http://isakenrockfishing.blogspot.com/?zx=cfcf71c12ffb9909

You'll be able to talk with quite a few smallmouth fishermen at this event, if you can make it.

I cut my teeth on the South Branch and used to fish Genoa through Kirkland exclusively. Nice stretch and good for wading or kayaking. The smallmouth are plentiful and so are the northern pike, and even an occasional walleye towards dusk. Mepp's in-line spinners, small, shallow-running crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and your favorite soft plastic crayfish or minnow imitators will find the fish. Bridge pilings, timber, edges of lily pads, rock and deeper cuts will hold fish. Numbers days on the Kish can be amazing if you time it right. Go often and explore throughout the seasons.

Thanks everyone for all the kind welcomes, and advice. I look forward to meeting many of you along the way, and perhaps hooking up for some fishing too. My 15 yr old son has gotten me more excited than ever to do more fishing, and exploring new waters. It is an awesome feeling having your son along with to share in these adventures. Fishing and the outdoors in general have so much to offer. I can't wait to toss out the line and get started, this weather is going to break any time now I can feel it !!!! :)

CDMAGERS