Stream Sampling with the DNR

jude

I took a day off of work yesterday to go play in the creek. Terry put out the call for volunteers to help the DNR sample tribs in the Kishwaukee basin. I thought it would be cool to explore a new area, so I opted for Piscasaw Creek near Poplar Grove. Here are some pics….

Generator on the boat runs the zapper out front and the aerator for the tub of fish that we net. The netters wade behind the boat and try to get all of the stunned fish and toss them into aerated tub in the boat:

DSCF4347_zpsyuzlcr46.jpg

After a section is complete, we pull over so Karen can identify, measure, and weigh the fish:

DSCF4353_zpsdqdl6pqq.jpg

DSCF4349_zpsjdav2dho.jpg

DSCF4342_zpscplnisuo.jpg

DSCF4326_zpsm7y3pxoe.jpg

DSCF4365_zps0keevdd6.jpg

DSCF4329_zpsr5hvc4kt.jpg

I believe we identified 27 species, including several suckers, several darters, stone cat, shiners, green sunfish, bluegill, rock bass, and of course smallies:

DSCF4321_zps2ksnbi7h.jpg

DSCF4366_zps3xkqtwer.jpg

The star of the day was the American Brook Lamprey (not a parasite like sea lampreys):

DSCF4373_zpsnuccl7bl.jpg

It was hot sweaty work, but a lot of fun working with Karen's crew. The only other volunteer was a guy from the Shedd Aquarium looking for Rainbow Darters and Orange Throated Darters.

Our last location was a little tough to access:

DSCF4355_zpsml3jfcu3.jpg

Yep. About twenty of the type he was after plus some different types. Plus I caught a snapping turtle. Saw some thrashing around and thought it might be a big smallie. Nope…big old snapper. He did not go in the tub.