bug id

tjtroester

The Dobson fly larva is a prized bait for smallmouth and channel cats. Like crayfish, they are found under rocks on the stream bed. They can be a few inches in length, and when disturbed they roll up and tumble down stream. The one pictured is a male. The jaws of the female are not nearly as large. They too, however ,are rather formidable. Those of the larva are similar in size to those of the female adult. There are many hellgrammite patterns that are effective in catching smallies with the flyrod. In my little experience with using them, they work fairly well for channel cats too. The Woolly Bugger mimics the hellgrammite fairly well.

They are somewhat common in the Vermilion River.

john, I feel kind of silly. LOL i'm familiar with helgramites but never made a connection: bad data point or glitch in my memory storage I guess. I have heard the fly called a fish fly but never thot about it or pursued I. if I was 16 you could say "girls!". I'm still not willing to say "senior!" timothy

john, I feel kind of silly. LOL i'm familiar with helgramites but never made a connection: bad data point or glitch in my memory storage I guess. I have heard the fly called a fish fly but never thot about it or pursued I. if I was 16 you could say "girls!". I'm still not willing to say "senior!" timothy

Happens to me all the time. I just figure that over the years I have gathered so much info. some of it has to be stored in some dark corner where it may or may not ever resurface. We just know too much. :D

I agree with hellgrammites being a prized bait for smallies. Last summer on the Dupe, most of my smallies between 17"-19" were caught finesse fishing plastic hellgrammites. I can't say the same for this year, however, they sure were targeting helgies last year.